Out-of-band QSO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5KTD, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Either they don't know or don't care, I would probably ignore it. I might if it was a new ham send an email and depending on the type of person they are they may take it as a learning experience or get mad.

I have definitely seen some stuff at Field Day where people are trying to operate at the band edges. I have tried to inform the new folks about bandwidth of the signals in the past as well.

KC7JNJ and N2EY like this.
  2. W4JFA

W4JFA Ham Member QRZ Page

The other day I heard a POTA guy calling CQ on 14.349 USB. Gee I wonder why no one answered him????

KA2FIR likes this.
  3. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No mars mods or vintage rigs allowed if you need training wheels. :p

PU2OZT, W4JFA, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  4. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Because the FCC's chances of noticing it are zilch and if they did notice it the chances of them doing anything about it are zilch squared

KI4ZUQ, N0TZU, AD5HR and 1 other person like this.
  5. K9KQX

K9KQX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unless you participate in MARS, I see no point in modifying a rig. I just removed the MARS mod on an Alinco DX-77 for a blind ham. Figured it'd help him keep from accidentally transmitting out of band. I talked to him the next day and he approved of me restoring it to factory just for that very reason.

I know as a newly minted ham almost 6 years ago, I avoided band edges till I got a good grasp of where my signal was between USB and LSB. Now I'm keenly aware of that, and also take into account what my transmit bandwidth is near edges. My rig can transmit 4k wide, and that has to be taken into consideration if its set that way. Normally I'm at 2.9k.

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't run closer than 3kc because I just don't know exactly how wide I am (I heard that snickering in back there) so an educated (wag) guess concludes if you're closer than 3, yer on yer own. ;)

KI5WW, W7TCT and K9KQX like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sad but true. Doesn't make it right of course.

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2FIR likes this.
  8. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here. It is easy to remember to just stay 3k away from band edges.

W0FS, WS4JM and WZ7U like this.
  9. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"A ham's got to know his limitations" -- Dirty Harry Callahan. :confused:

KR2C, N1VAU, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Once upon a time, newcomers to "the art and science" were limited to crystal controlled transmitters - and for good reason(s).

KA2FIR, WA1GXC and N5AL like this.