Out-of-band QSO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5KTD, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

you SINNER, you! gonna tell your mom!

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Bright shiny virtue blinding mere cbers with its purity. :rolleyes:

Must be a slow nooz day on the partisan nooz channels.

3. G0TNU

G0TNU Ham Member QRZ Page

How times change.
    Very little official policing of the bands takes place now.

I came into the hobby in 1992 & modifying ex pmr crystal controlled radios was my way on to the uhf repeaters, That was back when you whistled it up, No 1750hz installed.

As for exams, With all the USA questions & answers published, We may as well let people take the new simplified exam at a radio outlet.

Its a single question multiple choice with 100% pass rate ...

How are you paying today ? Please tick box !

4. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI, the question pool for the USCG and FAA exams are known too.

If ham radio exams were like getting a pilot's license, the written would be easy if you have a good memory, but the examiner would also do an oral exam where he can ask you all kinds of questions and then he would watch you set up a station and operate it correctly before you walked out with a license.

If ham radio exams were like getting a USCG license, the written would be a bit harder but still known, but you would have to prove experience as an assistant radio operator to even get a Novice and then each step of the way to Extra would require time and experience in the lower grades plus completion of any number of specialized classes.

5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be fine with some sort of time spent at each level before upgrading. However, the two exams you reference are fundamentally different than those for amateur radio in that there is an implied risk to life with those two. For most of Amateur Radio, aside from getting electrocuted or falling off a tower, the biggest risk to life and limb is not being active enough and having a heart attack going to the fridge for a snack during those long QSOs. :D

I made comparisons to the (Certified Information System Security Professional) CISSP exam that uses adaptive exam engines to thoroughly gauge a candidate's mastery of the subject matter in another thread. You can't just memorize facts, you need to understand the material well enough to apply it to varying scenarios. If you get a question wrong, it presents you with an easier question in the same subject area. Get a question right and it presents you with a harder question. You not only show that you know a thing, but to the depth that you know it. Also, there is a requirement to have a number of years' experience in multiple relevant domains in order to get certified, as well as a need to be "sponsored" by another CISSP. Oh, and an ethics pledge and possible loss of certification if you violate it. And, don't forget the continuing education requirements. Imagine the outcry if we instituted *those* for amateur radio! :D :D

Or, we just accept the current licensing scheme is not about mastery of a subject, but awareness and that there is an expectation to continue learning well after you get licensed.

Chris

K8XG, K4NWD and PU2OZT like this.
  6. G0TNU

G0TNU Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really a good idea as it creates uneducated appliance operators.
    They then ask highly technical questions like.. "Where do i put the SWR meter ?"

1500 watts of RF :eek:
    0 watts of intelligence :(

7. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

The main FCC interest is keeping hams in their cage, they really need to know enough no to show up on some other allocation and cause problems and that is it.

8. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KI4POT said: "Having been licensed after the code requirement was dropped, making me a non-elite ham ..."

I respectfully disagree with you. I'm a so-called '20 wpm Extra' licensed 47 years and I happen to think you're just as 'elite' as the rest of us. In fact, anyone that studies and gets their ticket and actually gets on the air and participates in discussions such as this is 'elite' and a cut above the rest as far as I'm concerned. Your perspective is as valued and as 'correct' as anyone's and thanks for contributing. We are a better and stronger hobby because of folks like you AND the rest of us old timers. I'm glad you're one of us - and it's still an incredible hobby.

For what it's worth, I know a lot of 'old timers' and/or '20 wpm Extras' that know two things: Jack and squat. And Jack left town a long time ago.

- Matt, AA4MB

M0IND, KT4PH, WA1GXC and 4 others like this.
  9. KC5CSG

KC5CSG Ham Member QRZ Page

In 1995, I let the "S" word slip while on the local 2 meter repeater. Didn't think much of it since most of the good old boys in Leesville, LA let them fly on occasion. I got one of those official observer letters about a month later. I promptly used it as toilet paper, neatly refolded it, stuck it in a fresh envelope and mailed it back to him.

He actually called the police on me when he received it and claimed I purposely mailed him a biohazardous substance. Two cops arrived at my door, and after they heard the story of how I got the letter from him in the first place and the humorous concept of the OO program and the losers that participated in it, they were laughing their way back to their cars.

He never mailed me anything again.

10. KD8OSD

KD8OSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bet that never happened. Cool story, Bro.

WA9SVD, N3AB, WF4W and 3 others like this.