Out-of-band QSO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5KTD, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Cranberry is a nice place too, but it's a bit aways from both Elwood City and Mars.

2. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're going to split hairs, no SSB conversations take place at the exact dial frequency either.

Within the FT8 passband, I agree there certainly isn't any standardized channelization. Often folks DO overlap with each other by some odd increment, splattering over half of the other guy's signal. There are generally few FT8 operators outside of the usual watering holes. Occasionally you DO find some DX stations working outside of the regular passband...3kHz up often. Almost like a channel. DP1POL in Antarctica was doing this.

I think for non-FT8 ops, they do just see that we're all just in a blob of 3kHz on different bands, which I can see as channelized. I'm not entirely sure its a negative thing, making rockbound FT8 transceiver is a lot easier when the frequencies are static. FT8 ops don't need no stinkin' VFOs :)

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to do a "mars mod" to my TS440s to get on 60 M, a fully authorized use of a new frequency allocation ! Worked fine.

4. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair enough! Now I have something to look out for while passing through EWC!

5. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, guys, don't sweat it! I was being facetious when I posted!

Martin (G8FXC)

N3RYB and PU2OZT like this.
  6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

But that's what the Zed is for: We need to be nitpicky about everything, even if it was just facetious. :)

PU2OZT likes this.
  7. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

That really does get me down. Hopefully when the sun spots pick up 10 meters will get more active.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They were just following the rules.

Trying to find a clear frequency that was not in use.

Someone said "Up Five" , So they moved. :rolleyes:

W0FS and PU2OZT like this.
  9. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously I did not read your post with any level of comprehension. I must be a lid. Sorry.

10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like many I got my Out-Of-Band Recognition from Grand Island, NE. 14274.5 as a General.
    I was on about 276 or 277 chatting with a guy and a net started up on 278 and they asked us to move down. Being a courteous ham we did so. Then the guy came back and said that's not enough. Down again. I suspect Grand Island laid in wait at this particular time and band edge.