Out-of-band QSO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5KTD, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And yet, the spectrum bureaucrats, in Europe at least, have chosen to open up spectrum to licence free CB style operation without any particular pressure. PMR446 was first legalised around 2000 and extra allocation added in 2015. They have also permitted SSB and increased available spectrum on 27MHz starting around 2014.

Martin (G8FXC)

2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is something completely different,
    and you are comparing "apples with oranges".

PMR and related users have type-approved and low-power equipment and do not cause the regulators any work or trouble, and they are further not "duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest".

I can just cite what has happened here, where 300 kHz of otherwise disused 70 MHz land-mobile spectrum was opened for hobbyists without any licences or other requirements than type-accepted equipment.

This has attracted followers whose numbers are estimated to be about the same or larger as the number of current users of the amateur VHF/UHF bands.

They do not come with any demands of special treatment, enforcement, representation at international conferences or expanded spectrum and have for what is known not caused the regulator any trouble.

I know that the lawyers and bean-counters are comparing the two groups...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You know, OM, there were always the Armstrongs in ham radio. There still are today--I might mention Joe Taylor, K1JT. But they are very much the exception. That doesn't mean radio is <choke! gasp! good lord!> dying; just that the average ham, while competent enough, ain't gonna change the world. Same as it always has been. ;)

N2EY likes this.
  4. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

i drive through Elwood city on my way to work 4x a month. all I see is 80s Donnie Iris posters still hanging advertising the show at Quaker State and Lube-No BBQ joints. Ha!

I love hitting every stop light adding 20 minutes to my commute. Thank Goodness the bridge over the Beaver is finished!

“73”

BTW I love Donnie and he’s on my favorite list!

N3RYB likes this.
  5. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's always Smoky Bones in Cranberry, although I realize that just barely qualifies. :p

KE8OKM likes this.
  6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, there's hardly any activity on the frequencies you listed. There is a lot of activity on a band ranging from that frequency up about 2 kHZ.

When I pick a transmit frequency, I do it about the same way I would on any other mode. If the waterfall is crowded, then I find the largest gap I can to squeeze in. If the gap happens to be slightly smaller than my bandwidth, so be it; that's the best I can do.

If there are larger gaps, then I pick one using the analog-style dial on my monitor. Often, the frequency I pick ends in a zero, but more often than not, it doesn't.

VK4HAT likes this.
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No disrespect, but it's a small place, not along the main drags. The ham who owns it is aware of this post and asked me to keep my yap shut. (Well, he said it with language stronger than that, but an actual quote would get me in trouble)

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yap shut about what?

9. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those are the FT8 watering holes btw...(USB frequencies)

10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

But my point was, there is absolutely no activity on those particular frequencies. The activity is spread out on a band starting about 100 Hz above those frequencies. And the individual signals are definitely not channelized. I've never had a complaint that I'm off frequency because I'm on 1003 Hz rather than 1000 Hz.

VK4HAT likes this.