ad: expert-3

Out-of-band QSO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5KTD, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the mars mod to ask truckers where the good bbq joints are. :p

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

And there, right there, is part of the problem.

There are no good BBQ joints in Mars. You have to head down the road a bit, to Ellwood City.

Sad to say, as Mars is a very nice town. And maybe that will change one day... BBQ establishments, that is.

N3RYB and AG5CK like this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Cyclone, Texas, just southeast of Temple, used to have the best barbeque I ever tasted. It's a very small town and easy to miss, but worth finding.:)

AG5CK likes this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a big 10-4 good buddy

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion, this is probably closer than you may think.

And the entity that will off-load the FCC in your case most likely will be the ARRL.

Expect some unintended consequences when a non-transparent club run by control-freaks also will get direct jurisdiction over how amateur radio should be run.

I have witnessed at close range what happens when a "Hobby Authority" is created.

Finally, we already have got the perhaps ultimate form of channelisation which is FT-8.

This protocol or "mode" makes use of both quantised spectrum and time, and results in a very large "trunking factor", together with essentially zero requirements for operator knowledge.

The mode is directly derived from and adapted to the impersonal and content-less QSO:s that have become norm in today's amateur radio.

I made some "back-of-the-envelope" calculations, and as a first approximation, the width of the "DX-bands" with the same average amount of contacts could be reduced with at least 80% if all users shifted to FT-8.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

6. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I had a Mars Mod bitch post last year. No one cared. Let the Freebanders have at it. Ham radio is a joke. All my stuff is for sale. (Except here where you have to pay to post). Rednecks and conspiracy types can have it. Along with the curse every other word tards.

7. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We already are channelised : 1.840, 3.573, 5.357, 7.074, 10.136, 14.074, 18.100, 21.074, 24.915, 28.074, 50.313 - you'll be hard pressed to find activity anywhere else!

Martin (G8FXC)

8. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It did, but as a very small minority of the total. I know a British operator who is so much like Karl that I have wondered if they are the same person, one just hiding under a pseudonym. I'm almost exactly the same age as Karl and we were both licenced at pretty much the same age. I grew up in one of the leading contesting clubs in Britain and we were all technically very well educated - but it remained primarily a social club that happened to revolve around amateur radio.

Martin (G8FXC)

9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever wondered why most hams want 599 tu rather than conversation? Why contests light up the bands and rag chew tuesdays they are dead again?

10. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

There are more of me...
    From memory, I can name at least a handful of those that
    I learned to know at the Uni radio club that shared and still share my views. Quality has not entirely gotten out of fashion...

An old friend of mine from SM7 who is a few years older, and has a somewhat different background and curriculum vitae also shares my views almost to 100%.

We have almost the same military radio operator backgrounds, I went to University he did not, I worked for the Government, he started his own business, but we see amateur radio in pretty much the same light.

Both of us feel that "quality before quantity" is the key to success. The last decades of focusing on quantity at the expense of standards, both technical and operational, have done amateur radio a huge disservice and has furthermore discredited us in the eyes of the regulators.

No spectrum bureaucrats in their right minds would want more of the current breed of "instant hams". What has saved us in the short term is that so few actually become active. Instead, if they were free to chose, they would prefer a limited number of the elite form that was prevalent during the 50s and 60s.

People tend to forget that amateur radio needs the support of spectrum regulators at all levels to be able to survive.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

WA9SVD likes this.