Out-of-band QSO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5KTD, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe those individuals are in the wrong place. Perhaps, being unwilling to know, and apply "good engineering practices," and thus follow §Part 97, they would be more comfortable elsewhere, where equipment DOES the thinking for them.

W0FS likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know what the impetus of the MARS mods, so called, is. But I'd guess it has more to do with the letters "C" and "B" than with being so foolish as to mess around on public safety frequencies. On the other hand, CBers are a vanishing breed, so I wouldn't think there would be enough of them left to account for for the continuing talk about and desire to do these mods (or more usually, to have someone more technically skilled do them for them).

Maybe there are thousands of MARS members out there I just don't know about... :confused:

WA9SVD likes this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe that's the way it is in your country. Here? We have not fallen nearly--nearly--so far. And if we ever do, it's not time for "channelization," but time for the last of us to turn off the lights and lock the door on the way out.

Of course, the other side of it is that the ham radio you "remember" never existed anywhere. ;)

4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's exactly what it is. I know a new ham who was all hot and bothered to get the MARS mod on his new transceiver exactly for that mythical "emergency". Ok dood. o_O

Chris

WA9SVD likes this.
  5. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

They are correct. You can do ANYTHING in an emergency. You can jump on fire, police, aircraft, marine, Army, Navy, mall cops, or the FBI frequencies plus anything else you can think of. Totally legal - assuming that emergency involves someone about to die. Flat tires, out of gas, lost without a GPS, and so on don't even come remotely close to qualifying.

WA9SVD likes this.
  6. N3HGB

Some of it is CBers*. Some of it is people using radios in airplanes for aircraft HF. Some of it is people using radios in boats for marine HF. Some of it is pirate radio broadcasters. Some of it is enabling bands not programmed into the radio when it was new like 60 meters. Some of it is people that like to do things because they can. Some of it is radios made that way from the factory. Some of it is a "reverse" mod to get a marine rig onto the ham bands, some of the older ones needed a mod for that. Some of it is for transverters that need an out-of-ham-band input. Some of it is cheap 3rd world governments doing whatever. I suspect a good portion of hams now with modded rigs bought them used already modified and may not have done it themselves if it was new.

* maybe more accurately called freebanders, since they are frequently above channel 40 and below 10 meters. Actually if they want to run AM on official CB channels, I am 99% sure a decent legal CB would sound better than most ham rigs anyway :rolleyes:

7. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Vanishing breed? I think hams are the vanishing breed if the image linked below is any indication.

11 & 10 meters side-by-side during a really good band opening across CONUS back in May.

Depressing.

10v11.jpg

KI5WW likes this.
  8. N3HGB

Planning is key to this. Ask him WHAT emergency and WHO he was planning on calling ;)

WA9SVD likes this.
  9. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

This is Net Control, Irony Central Net, check-in with your full callsign---

Every time anyone around here expresses displeasure, exasperation, or sheer exhaustion with the lack of standards, knowledge or judgement exhibited
    on Amateur HF radio, he or she is summarily sucker-punched with, "Who appointed you King of ham radio?" "Stop being a mean, dyspeptic old guy",
    "Go find a hobby where you aren't a policeman."
    Okay.
    And so here we are. You asked for it, and now you've got it in spades. The unintentionally comic fix for ignorant-on-the-air is to electronically lock-out
    equipment functionality; "Lock the rig--Take the keys--Don't help a good boy go bad." Someone in good faith suggested manufacturers' band-markers
    on a waterfall display.

Dude and Dudette can't operate the radio properly; lock it out , channelize it, firm-ware the transmit AGC to 6.7 so the SSB-SC signal doesn't splatter
    past ham-nominal 5.0 kHz bandwidth up-and-down 40m now. "How's my audio?" "Your audio is excellent--excellent. You sound just like KISS-107"

See, the real irony is that the root of the problem is not coming from newcomers jumping-in from some mythically-powerful radio service of days-gone-
    by. It's coming from mythically-powerful Amateur Radio operators of three or ten or forty years' experience. From hams who never took the time or effort
    to learn it right back then and who are polluting the airwaves with their ham radio-progeny who model and mimic their technique, style, and gaffes
    we've now normalized as baseline.

There will come a time [not far away] as I noted in a recent discussion, when the Federal Communications Commission will deem Amateur Radio so far
    gone that it's essentially unmanageable, and not worth managing with Federal resources on a cost-versus-benefit basis . Just like that other radio
    service so many of y'all love to hate.

Wake up. You've overslept by 10 years. How the rest of the day goes is completely up to you.

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves."

N2EY likes this.
  10. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's exactly my point. I'm a bit sarcastic.