ad: Mircules-1

Out-of-band QSO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5KTD, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5KTD

K5KTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Recently, I frequently hear continental USA amateurs on USB centered on 14.352. How is it that they are able to use a center frequency substantially out-of-band, identify by call sign, and keep their licenses?

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

They're out of band, period.

Were there any enforcement you might never hear this sort of stuff. Since there isn't...

KA0USE, KA4DPO, KO4PYL and 5 others like this.
  3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Because of COVID, the FCC SWAT teams that normally deal with these situations have been short staffed.

Seriously, though, this is why I'm glad that I've never done a "MARS mod." One Field Day, I was going up the band searching and pouncing, and came upon one station in the middle of a nice run. When I hit the mike button, the radio made a funny sound, and sure enough, I was on 14352. In the meantime, other MARS mod stations kept calling.

KA0USE, N3AB and K0UO like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Why do the transceivers allow out of band transmissions?

If it weren't for the ever-present "MARS mod" seen in the swap meet listings, the transmitter would not be enabled for use at 14.352

Dave
    W7UUU

DM2TT, W4CDO, KA2FIR and 7 others like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Too bad Dave Popkin retired as an OO (before the program morphed into VM’s), or they’d get a
    Popkingram.

N2EY likes this.
  6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Once upon a time, I had a radio that had the extended transmit mod. (TS-940s). That was done to try a six meter transverter project using 10/11 meters as the IF frequency. Shortly after the untimely death of the transverter project, I acquired a stand alone six meter rig. Spent months listening to the sounds of silence on that thing; and yes, the receiver worked! Most of my desire to work VHF weak signals dissipated when the new sunspot cycle started. I think that would have been 1988 / 1989.

When the Hf bands opened up, I went to town! Had fun for many years with the '940. Still have it. All those years, I never once transmitted out of band, because I knew the limits. Seems like some folks either don't know their limits, or more likely, they don't know care about them. I also remember a neighbor ham here wondering why he had gotten a "pink slip" from the FCC for transmitting on 14.300 MHz USB. Tried explaining it to him as did others. I don't think he ever figured it out. Just goes to show you that this thing is nothing new...

Unfortunately...

WN1MB likes this.
  7. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at the frequency listed as centre frequency I think it is possible their tx range has not been extended. It is trivial to transmit there with an unmodified radio. Ignoring all the older radios with 500kHz vfo where you would have full trx up to 14.500, a modern radio will transmit usb with a centre frequency near 14.352. Dial up 14.350MHz usb and done. No modification required. Worse case dial up 14.349999MHz.

Have seen it before where people do not get the relationship between the frequency on the display and where there transmission is. After having dealt with people like this I have no trouble believing some will think they are in band if there display does not read above 14.350 while using usb. Have seen a bit of 14.348 and 14.349 usb. Our 80m is 3.500 - 3.700 and the dx window 3.776 - 3.800. The ranting the day when one fellow was told being on 3.776 lsb he was out of band. He did not get the relationship and was adamant because his display did not read below 3.776 he was in band. He was not impressed with someone trying to say he was out of band.

8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Once not long ago I heard an operator out of band, I ignored it and moved on. Something about the reporting culture of Germany during the Soviet occupation kept me from saying anything about someone not harming anyone else.

N8VIL, KA0USE, N3HQN and 5 others like this.
  9. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A few years ago I heard a newly minted Extra trying to work Europeans on SSB well below 14.150. I sent him a friendly worded email just to remind him where his privileges started. By the tone of his reply he didn't take it very well. At the time I figured if I saw a poorly-sighted person about to walk into a ditch, I'd gently nudge him back on the path. Can't fault a person for trying.

DM2TT, KA2FIR, N4FZ and 7 others like this.
  10. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I will not purchase anything that has a 'mars mod' advertised. Number one, I don't need/want it. Second, most mods are done by those who shouldn't be modifying anything. I bought a mobile radio that was advertised as "no mods" but when I got it I connected it to a dummy load and came to find out that it transmitted out of band. Opened it up and it was butcherer. I was hopping that I could un-mod it but it's too far gone. The radio works, I just have to make sure that I never have an out of band freq in it....and I'll never resell it.

WA9UAA, KA2FIR, N2EY and 1 other person like this.