ad: elecraft

Out in Public Ham radio operating.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AJ2I, Nov 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Out in Texas I have seen and have a 300ms video clip of a Jackalope Rabbit about 4 foot high running out of a bush we scared when worrying about rattlers when crossing a Texas field tiny ditch

2. K8XG

Height includes the Rabbit's Ears , HA

3. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

other than field day and POTA, why would you ever operate in public? Maybe it's just the type of person I am, but I dont like to make a spectacle of myself and putting up a ridiculous antenna and operating a radio it public - audibly braodasting CW or SSB - is the epitome of being a spectacle. But to each their own . . .

K2XT and KP4SX like this.
  4. K8XG

Well, I have operated in Metro parks for the past 10 years ALL THE TIME... its fun you don't need to have a POTA call to do it...

We also have been doing Fox Hunts in parks for at least 5 years or so... as a suggestion of mine...

My First FOX as a TXer I was at a car show ... HA !

WD4IGX and W5ESE like this.
  5. XZ2A

XZ2A Ham Member QRZ Page

No-one ever approaches a 'nutter' ;) (no offence Dave!) In a similar way, I found the best way to avoid being mugged by approaching thugs was to pretend to be mad......

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

:D

7. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You could have said, "No, I'm a groinacologist"
    [​IMG]

8. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

POTA, WWFF, SOTA, IOTA, LOTA, GOATA, SiOTA, BOTA, COTA, QRZOTA and finally Walmarts On The Air. Hams will activate sewage plants if someone polishes that turd and puts OTA on it and offers a certificate.

Parks, flora and fauna, summits, islands, lighthouses, goats, silo's, beaches, castles, qrz members and walmarts. Cant find something to do, make up your own and they will come.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  9. KI7TGX

KI7TGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Simple answer: 20 over S9 noise almost all the time at my QTH. I'm not interested in spending my time haranguing my neighbors over their solar panel inverters, weed growing operations, LED lights, Plasma TV's, you name it. Yes, I have shut my power and it's not me. Yes, I have all manner of RX antennas, phasing systems, rotatable loops. It's all not much use. This is the real reason why ham radio has a dismal future.

So I have taken to driving my truck up the hills until I find a RFI quiet spot. And I operate CW at 5 watts into a hamstick with better results than in the cacophony of my QTH. I found a place a 5 minute drive away which is high and despite being in a relatively dense neighborhood, is quiet. I guess people got suspicious of me as they see me parked in the same spot doing who knows what several times a week. Once someone asked what I was doing, and whether I was hacking into his WiFi. He took me a little off guard so I was probably more squirrelly than I should have been.

WD4IGX, AE0Q, KD2HAM and 4 others like this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I always wear a disguise when I operate portable, and if anyone asks me what I'm doing, I pretend I don't speak english and then quickly leave.