ad: Retevis-1

Our Sun Has Bad Aim with Storms to the East & West | Solar Storm Forecast 09.15.2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Sep 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Our Sun Has Bad Aim with Storms to the East & West | Solar Storm Forecast 09.15.2020

AA7OY, KC4D, KJ4EZH and 9 others like this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome back! Not sure which I missed more over the last month---Tamitha's reports or the sunspots. Really need both!

Jeff

4. CT1JQC

CT1JQC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I now can't live without Dr Tamitha reports... 73

2W0YFC likes this.
  5. VA3DVE

VA3DVE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tamatha and the space weather missed them both as well ........73

6. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

TAMITHA greeting amazing work vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

7. KE4IKY

KE4IKY Ham Member QRZ Page

How can we tell if something is to the "east of us" or "west of us" when we're talking about the sun? As the milky way rises, is that to the east?

Not trying to be a wiseguy.
    I appreciate the effort put into the space weather forecast.

Thanks
    Joel

KG4BFR likes this.
  8. W5EBB

W5EBB Ham Member QRZ Page

For a solar disk image, north is up, south is down, left is east, right is west. This coordinate system is centered in the middle of the solar disk image.

e.g. a coronal hole on the far east side of the solar disk would launch solar wind particles in a direction perpendicular to the surface of the Sun from that location, which would be along a vector or cone that would pass left of Earth (from a solar system viewpoint).

You would use a star chart to determine the rise direction and location in the Earth's sky of celestial objects such as the Milky Way.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    KG4BFR likes this.
  9. KE4IKY

Ok... Like I said... and in the best humor.... To someone on the sun, what would be east vs west.

As for looking at the solar disk from afar (what we are doing) wouldn't east be to the right, and west to the left. My reasoning being that if the Earth were viewed as a disk from afar (with North Up). east would be to the right of the image, and west to the left.

I know references get all loopy in space (at least to me), as a mental exercise a long time ago, I imagined how to keep a spaceship straight and level to the earth when in orbit (automatically, using simple ideas). The level part was pretty easy (the horizons needed to be equal on both "sides" of the spaceship. Keeping it "straight" ( pointed in the same direction as its movement) is a different matter. Of course part of the earth in darkness complicates the leveling part a lot also.

Thanks
    Joel

10. W5EBB

W5EBB Ham Member QRZ Page

I say east would be in the direction where objects "rise" in the morning. For both Sun and Earth, that would be in the direction of diurnal rotation.

Yes, I agree. However, that's not the convention astronomers have adopted. But it wouldn't be the first time astronomers have got it wrong. They're such a capricious Lot.

There's a reason why my brain started to hurt trying to figure this out. It turns out the "left is east" convention for a map of the Sun is just that - a convention. There is no visualization or thought experiment that justifies the choice.

And in fact it's a one-off, an unconventional choice since for maps of individual celestial objects other than the Sun, "left is west."

https://astronomy.com/magazine/ask-astro/2017/09/directions-in-space

So it doesn't matter in this case what seems right or wrong, it's the accepted convention that prevails. But have we gained any real knowledge by aquiring an understanding of arbitrary choices? I suppose, if it means we're on on the same page of arbitrariness.

11. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Aim implies intent .

Bad science

12. KE4IKY

I'm not sure that "aim" implies intent. Not necessarily the best choice of words, possible "directed" might be better, but that also implies intent.

Neither of which really negates the science of this, which is good.

What I really want to know is if the solar cycles are related to the sun "recharging" from cosmic radiation, or if ice ages are maybe the result of something like that?

Thanks
    Joel

13. KE4IKY

Yes, I agree with being on the same arbitrariness (thank god for spell check) page... If I remember correctly IEEE and physicists had opposite ways of determining circular polarization direction, I think everyone eventually agreed on the engineers way.

W5EBB likes this.
  14. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Magic thinking / speaking - the idea that natural phenomena has intend " aim " the Sun , a inanimate object can not - take aim - that is intent .
    I like to push back against anytime language is misused , implying that there is intent to the universe .
    Trying to help us get away from the idea that a meteor is a omen etc. or there is intent ;)

Not trying to negate science , just the words being used / misused .

I have thought I read that Sunspots are cooler that no Sun spots , and wander if the lack of Sunspots - being hotter is part of high temps here also ?

Also , Joel ,
    Haven't heard / read about cosmic " radiation recharging the Sun " got any references for that , sounds like it could be interesting ?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  15. KE4IKY

I don't like words being misused either, however most of the appropriate words in this case can imply things other than intended, aimed / directed are just two examples, or would make the communications awkwardly long.

From what I understand so far about the warming idea (as it relates to global warming) is that with less of a solar wind, the more cosmic rays interact with the earth and increase water vapor, which is the largest "greenhouse" gas.

I like to keep things simpler than that and just imagine that we are somewhere between ice ages (an inter-glacial period), which means the earth should continue warming until it starts cooling, with little warming and cooling bumps in between.

Thanks
    Joel