Our Amateur Radio Operator Military Veterans...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5BIB, Nov 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

N3AWS likes this.
  2. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

67-72, no ham ticket until 21st century. And I was a radar repair tech. No ham gear aboard a USN destroyer back then, although there was semi-official talk of putting such radios on my ship. Besides, we radar techs weren't typically allowed in the radio room.

N3AWS likes this.
  3. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just nostalgia and if I remember correctly it is near the "weather" station on the hill. Mainly an intercept antenna at the time.

N3AWS likes this.
  4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice article and thanks. I used to maintain the crypto gear and was aware of the use. :)

N3AWS likes this.
  5. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes.

6. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Google maps, you can still see the antenna under shade tarps.

15°12'18.8"N 120°31'36.6"E

Flr 9, Clark AB, RP

7. N2UHC

I wish I had the real estate to put a FLR-9 in my back yard, but I doubt I'd be able to find one at the local Army surplus store.

N3AWS and N7ZAL like this.
  8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (JBER) is actively looking for an organization to take over the site.

The on-base ham club (EARS/KL7AIR) is too small for the task - but I could imagine what it would be like to have the use of the antenna field for, say, Field Day.....

N3AWS likes this.
  9. N2UHC

That's too far away for me to travel just to hook up a receiver. I promise if they ship it to my location I'll take really good care of it. Just as soon as I find some farmer to sell me 40 acres to put it on...

I don't know that the FLR-9 would work well for transmitting. It was made to hook hundreds of receivers up to as well as a DF system. I don't know exactly what frequencies the elements for each band would be resonant on, or how you'd isolate all the transmitters. But for receiving it would be awesome. Best antenna system I ever used.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice address by an ex-POTUS. Actually, the nicest one I heard over the weekend.

N3AWS and N2UHC like this.