ad: UR5CDX-1

Oscilloscope

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by W0GF, Dec 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0GF

W0GF Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok,

I have to believe this has been answered before the life of me I cannot find it.

simple question:

Can the 20 mhz scopes that are USB on the market today able to view signals on HF/VHF and UHF radios?

I am concerned that 20 MHz May be a bit on the low side to capture a good trace. A simple yeah or nah will be great.

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah.

HF maybe. VHF/UHF are much higher in frequency for a 20Mhz scope.

What are you trying to do?

3. W0GF

W0GF Ham Member QRZ Page

I am putting together some inexpensive tools that all live connected to my PC. I thought that 20mhz was a bit low hence my post. I thought if anyone was able to get by with it, it would trigger a response.
    I will probably find a used desktop model on ebay for a few hundred bux. I am not looking to fix stuff for people just to have my own bench of tools so I can play around and tinker a bit.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You could certainly buy/build a prescaler - a device that samples a much higher frequency and "downshifts" to a range your scope would handle.

But it would probably be more cost effective to just buy a Rigol or Siglent scope that at least goes to 100 MHz.

Note that any scope that can read into UHF (or even the 2-meter band) is not going to be cheap

Dave
    W7UUU

WB5THT likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Here's a great deal on a scope that goes to 200 MHz.... useful for 2-meters but still not UHF

upload_2019-12-27_13-7-37.png

G4COE, N0TZU and WB5THT like this.
  6. W7UUU

With this model you'd be able to visualize DC to the 440 MHz ham band...

Better hurry - they only have a couple left ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2019-12-27_13-8-45.png

AC1HH likes this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

W7UUU likes this.
  8. WO1X

WO1X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KD2ACO likes this.
  9. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep in mind, a 'standard' 20Mhz scope would only be able to measure with some accuracy up to it's 3db points, so measuring a 20Mhz signal would give about 30% accuracy..... I can't say for these USB scopes, never used one, I don't like em'.

To measure 20Mhz signal with a degree of accuracy would require one with at least 3 or 4 times bandwidth. The next thing to consider with mod-con scopes is the sample rate.

Dave

WA7PRC and W1BR like this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Rigol has one out too in that price range (2 ch).

Check the next hamfest. There will likely be good used 100MHz or higher analog scopes like Tektronix for sale. The wiser sellers will have them at a very good price to get them sold. Those who still think they are gold bullion will ask way too much. At the most they might be worth $1.50 per MHz now (for a 4 channel), IMO, unless they have some redeeming feature.

I will be pricing a Tek 2445 at a ham fest next month for a bit more because it has the “bright eye” tube so fast sweeps are much brighter and easier to view detail.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    G4COE and WA7PRC like this.