Oscilloscope Probes

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE8HAG, Nov 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE8HAG

KE8HAG Ham Member QRZ Page

I need some help selecting scope probes for my new/OLD budget scope I just bought. It's a GW Instek GOS 6112 100 Mhz. It didn't have any probes with it. Information by the BNC inputs for both channels says 1meg, 25pf, 300v CAT II, Max 400Vpk.

I bought this scope to learn how to use one but know nothing about what kind of probes to buy for it. When I done a Google search about Oscope probes I found out how much I didn't know, but I did learn a little bit. Some sites said to buy probes that are three times faster than the frequency the scope will handle. Needless to say, I don't know what exactly that meant. Then they talked about active probes and passive probes, voltage ratings and a few other things.

Can somebody give a kick-start? Maybe even suggest a set to buy that will work with this scope.

Thanks much, 73

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KE8HAG

KE8HAG Ham Member QRZ Page

That's awesome. You made my day WB2WIK. Tks.

4. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

WIK is one of the go-to guys on here.

5. WB7PMP

WB7PMP Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to design scopes. At 100mhz just about anything that will comp. 25pf should work. Tek probes are generally well done. Obviously probes offered with the product are likely to be the best choice. 73's Ron:

WB5THT and KI4ZUQ like this.