ad: elecraft

Orlando HamCation

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by W5KUB, Jan 24, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5KUB

W5KUB Ham Member QRZ Page

On this week's live Amateur Radio Roundtable show (January 26th) we will have a segment by Peter Meijers, AI4KM, the Chairman of Hamcation. He will be telling us all about Hamcation which is a very large hamfest located in Orlando, FL. Tune in to the show at W5KUB.COM this Tues Jan 26 at 8 PMCT (0200 UTC Wed). This show is also simulcast on international shortwave station WBCQ on 5110 Khz.

2. W8EJO

W8EJO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am mainly interested in the flea market and but can only attend one day. Which day is best for the flea market?

It looks like the weather will be near perfect ever day.

3. KW4EK

KW4EK Ham Member QRZ Page

For a flea market the best selection is opening on day one, the best prices (but limited sellers and selection) is during the final hours of the final day (but many pack up and go home early the last day).

4. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well another Orlando Hamcation has come & gone.I must say that opening at 9:00am on Friday was a huge success.May have been the largest crowd I recall on any Friday since 1993.Great stuff in the Bone Yard as usual & always nice too see old friends & meeting new ones as well.Don't know the numbers but I'd say it was a Huge Success.Only issue I saw was on Saturday morning there were 75 people or so standing outside the vehicle gate where we stood for about 35 minutes & just as it was time for the gates to open one of the security guys who had everyone stand to the side out of the road all of a sudden says,OK we are not letting any foot traffic in this gate & sent everyone to the East Gate.He could have told everyone or had some signs before letting everyone stand around the area for over a half hour when we could have gotten into the other line earlier.I heard someone say that one of the security people who was also a Ham had an issue with another ham in the line taking pictures of a public venue & that is what started the issue.It was handled wrong by whomever made the decision but there is always someone who has a power struggle & makes a big deal out of nothing & the security guy appears too have let a little authority go to his head.Overall it was a great show if you overlook the butt head from the security group at the vehicle gate.Guess some people need constant supervision! Looking forward to another great show come 2017 from the Orlando Hamcation.Still by far the Best Hamfest in the Southern United States. ;) :)

Clayton
    W4KVW

5. NS1X

NS1X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This was the first Hamcation that I attended, having just moved to central fl in the past 2 years, and I was very impressed with the size and variety of vendors. We had beautiful weather as well. I'm thinking this is getting close to Dayton in terms of flea market (especially the Saturday flea) space/variety. Many, many of the commercial vendors that you see at Dayton (manufacturers and retailers) were in the commercial buildings, but Dayton still holds the edge in this category. As an aside, it was nice to see the Dayton folks at a booth in one of the commercial buildings.

People should seriously consider coming to this event in the future. You can leave your non-ham family at one of the theme parks while you enjoy your own brand of theme park.

6. G6GIY

G6GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

This was my third year at Orlando and this was the best yet. The wx was ideal and just the right mix of "junk" and new equipment. This show has the potential to replace Dayton which I also attend each year.

7. KU4FX

KU4FX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree 100% Orlando is a great event.

8. NC4A

NC4A Ham Member QRZ Page

Orlando just keeps getting better and better! Outside tailgate area was full of hidden bargains, but the layout seemed a bit 'scattered'. Fortunately the WX was ideal for walking around.
    Can't wait for next year.

NL7W likes this.