Original Star Trek Communicator used TUBES!!!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Dec 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I figured that would be a big factor :)

But still - how to power the plates of the tubes in the communicator? How did they accomplish transmit and receive, over such great distances, with such a tiny antenna (the poorly soldered lid), with only TWO TUBES?

:D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

N9LYA likes this.
  2. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Super High Frequency FT8 compandored SSB, worked out by Joe Taylor's great grandson early in the 23 century. The tubes have self heating diLithium impregnated filaments, the B+ is furnished by negative entropic super capacitors.

WD4IGX, KJ4VTH and WZ7U like this.
  3. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

All attached to a Turbo Encabulator?

K6CLS likes this.
  4. W2ZLX

W2ZLX Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't know star trek communicators had tubes. I thought they had better technology in the 24th century! I guess it's just like lost in space. 1997 state of the art ship with lasers, force fields, light speed.....and that robot....with a high tech 1960's reel to reel tape memory memory! Go Figure. Haha

5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Very carefully.

6. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that WAS funny!

W7UUU likes this.
  7. NL7W

It was sub-space, you know. Quieter band!

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the gain higher in sub-space? Like, you need triple deep attenuation or what?

NL7W likes this.
  9. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, they may have used primitive communications technology, but the computation/navigation technology was even more basic!

[​IMG]

Spock is holding an E6B, which would be recognized by any aviator from WWII, during Earth's early 20th Century. It's a circular slide rule, with some specialized scales for aviation things like density altitude on Earth. It also has a portion for drawing wind triangles, for problems involving velocity through the air, wind velocity, and velocity over the ground.

Analog computation with no electronics whatsoever!

Oh, and why did the ship's computer always sound a bit like a punched card reader when it was "thinking"?

G3ZPF, N2EY, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  10. NL7W

Could be!
    But, space-time laws don't apply in sub-space. Nominal particle/wave scatterings following the inverse square law are subverted into something weird and wonderful.
    I'll let some math wiz explain it! :D