ad: QSLWorks-1

ORI presentation about ITAR/EAR regulatory relief for amateur radio satellites

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WE4B, Oct 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats to ORI for the hard work on making this happen!

KF4VAR, N4FZ, M1WML and 8 others like this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Spectacular presentation! Congratulations to the producer, editor and especially the spokesperson. Raises the bar for vids, not just on the Zed, to be as well prepared and polished.

Spectacular news too. ORI / ARDC boldly charging ahead while AMSAT-US feebly stumbles behind. Too bad the latter org continues to act so opaque, shortsighted, and especially, defensive.

M1WML, VE4SW, WE4B and 1 other person like this.
  3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

ORI did a first-class job on this presentation. The work that was done that led up to this announcement was also first-class and will benefit all amateurs that are interested in amateur radio satellites. I am SO proud to see ORI, as you said, charging ahead and looking forward rather than slowly dying a slow and painful death. This proves what can be accomplished by volunteers with a goal in mind when these volunteers are not scared to let go of the past and explore new opportunities. Congrats ORI! Keep up the good work! I'll always be one of your biggest cheerleaders!

M1WML and K8XG like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Innovation with impediment is the black hole of a dream deferred.

Although I do not support 'open source hardware' , I do support innovation by radio amateurs for future sat technology, without : 1) astronomical indemnification requirements ; 2) outrageous and irrational restrictions.

WHEN you let radio amateurs THINK outside the box, then radio amateurs SOLVE PROBLEMS. That was true then, that is true now.

Here is a recent example.... 'satellite (radar) license plates':

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=nathan.IN.&s2=cohen.IN.&OS=IN/nathan+AND+IN/cohen&RS=IN/nathan+AND+IN/cohen

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    M1WML, AK9S, W0PV and 1 other person like this.
  5. W9VTT

W9VTT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

what goes up must come down

M1WML likes this.
  6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

you don't have to, that's your freedom. Meanwhile, many of us are using open source methods on hardware to good effect.

KF7PCL, M1WML, AF7EC and 2 others like this.
  7. K6CLS

Congrats, ORI, very well done! You made it look easy.

M1WML, WD9EWK and WE4B like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's just fine... my point is that we both agree on the stupidity of regulations that make no sense, at costs that are exclusionary:)

M1WML and WE4B like this.
  9. KI7UNJ

KI7UNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

easy to get a video made, just got to spend the money..... https://www.fiverr.com/alliemadison12/be-your-video-spokesperson

you can get anyone to read anything for money.

K9GLS, VE2HEW, M1WML and 6 others like this.
  10. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I can appreciate your opinion about open source hardware. For some situations, it's great. For others, not so great but you are exactly correct about stupid regulations. The work that ORI has done will help all amateurs that have an interest in space communications.

M1WML likes this.
  11. K6CLS

... Moving the goalposts... Not the original discussion. Oh well. Chip please do not presume to know what I might agree with. Thanks.

M1WML likes this.
  12. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What about stuff that goes sideways?

M1WML likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I apologize.

Logic , as per your comment above, apparently cannot dictate what your responses could be.

I am not 'moving any goalposts'. As WE4B gathered, regulation and indemnification fees are outrageous, and that affects everyone, whether you want to see sat hardware be 'open source' or 'inventor driven'. Here, two diametrically opposed philosophies have common ground. But no-- you see this as discursive and presumptuous phlegm.

I am sorry I am not your cup of tea.

Try another beverage. Wake up on the right side of bed.

If you must, kick the cat, not people.

Times are tough enough without you being personally hostile to others.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    M1WML likes this.
  14. NZ4C

NZ4C Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow

M1WML, WZ7U and AJ6KZ like this.
  15. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

M1WML, W2ZF and K0UO like this.