Optimizing radio and equipment connections

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI5OMM, Aug 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm still a little green around the edges, so I could use a bit of help with setting up a station with multiple transceivers. Right now, I have a single transceiver, a switching relay buffer, an SB 220 amp, a tuner, a pwr/swr meter, an Alpha Delta antenna switch, a dummy load, and coax etc. out to the antennas. I understand how to hook everything up together to use a single transceiver.

What I would like to plan for, is the addition of another transceiver. Ideally I want to run this second rig through all of the same downstream equipment such as the amp, tuner, etc. I can see where to use another AD switch to get the second xcvr into the amp and so forth, but I am unsure how to account for the two alc and key line connections to both transceivers. Also I believe in simple, so I want to optimize the cabling, switches, etc., so I don't get confused each time I want to switch from one transceiver or the other. Any tips, suggestions, or diagrams would be much appreciated as I have not found much info about this topic. Thank You!

2. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Once you have multiple radios, things can become fairly complex, in that you may want to use only one mic, and/or one speaker, in addition to switching the ALC and key lines. The simplest is to use the supplied mic and speaker for each xcvr, and simply use a 2 pole multi-position wafer switch to select the various transceiver's (amp) key and ALC lines along with your antenna switch. Additional amps make things even more complex, then if you want to monitor more than one band/frequencies with multiple receivers....

This is just the antenna switching. There are the additional receive audio(s), and the list goes on. There are numerous retail plug and play solutions out there which may or (probably) may not do what you want, or, you could "ROLL YOUR OWN", which takes a lot more time, but will allow you to design precisely what you want, and quite possibly much less expensive.
    [​IMG]

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the reply and your help. I just saw that there is a thread in the Amp forum that discusses this in pretty good detail. For some reason my search failed to show this before I posted.
    Thanks again!

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

One can never have too many antenna switches and multiple pole relays. When things get out of hand you might want to look at building an elaborate control console like a lot of multi-multi contesters do.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Also check out
    A Junk Box Integrated Station Control System
    In September 2009 QST

6. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WAIT A MINUTE......... I REMEMBER U.......

MR. WONDERFUL.......... hihi.......lol.....

THE ZEDDERS HAVE PROVIDED U WITH TOP NOTCH SCOOP.

THE ONE THING YOU HAVE TO KEEP IN MIND IS THAT
    EVERY ANTENNA SWITCH / MULTIPLE POLE RELAYS
    ARE A "POINT OF FAILURE"..

I DO NOT DISCOURAGE YOU FROM IMPLEMENTING
    THE ABOVE SUGGESTIONS.

YOU JUST HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT WHATEVER
    METHODOLOGY U DECIDED TO USE........

IT MUST BE WELL DOCUMENTED SO THAT YOU
    WILL BE ABLE TO PROPERLY TROUBLESHOOT
    IN THE FUTURE.

73 - ES KEEP:);):(o_O

7. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

On the other hand, every switch, connector and patch cable adds more line loss. The simplest installation is usually the best.

8. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

And every additional antenna switch and patch cable fitted into an already over-complicated array brings the likelihood of accidentally zapping 50 watts of rf into your antenna analyser ever closer!:(

(Don't ask how I know:rolleyes:)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    KI5WW and KP4SX like this.
  9. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You probably won’t like this, but.

You are just getting started in ham radio and are all excited to setup a great station, however you need to get some operating time in to learn.

So, forget about the second radio integration, put the amp to the side and just start working with the basic radio and tuner. You are adding unneeded complexity that will get in the way of enjoying the hobby. Learn about propagation, see if you can improve your antenna system, experiment with different modes.

Get a lot of operating in, then consider the expansion.

N7VGO and KI5WW like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You really don't need to use ALC with a 100W rig and an SB-220, so that can simplify things.

You can run "amplifier keying" lines in parallel to two different transceivers if you're already using an interface box which is low voltage; the only thing you have to switch at the "rig" end of things is the coax to connect one rig or the other to the amp. If your antennas are coax fed and any good, you probably don't need the tuner with the SB-220 either.:p