ad: qro

OPINIONS SOUGHT ON ICOM 725 AND 735 VINTAGE HF RIGS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K5FRH, Nov 27, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5FRH

K5FRH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello. I have the opportunity to acquire a relatively clean Icom 725 and 735 from a deceased estate. In researching these radios I find more units being sold for parts than I find functional units. I know that some of the early Icoms have a reputation for being problematic.

I can probably obtain these radios for around $ 100.00 each without power supplies. Should I pass these by or is this a bargain. I know from my reading that these are just basic, no frills radios, so I am not expecting much.

Your opinions please !!! Thanks in advance. Rod, K5FRH

2. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 725 isn't a horrible transceiver. The receiver isn't the best in the world but it is adequate for most people. The people I've talked to who have them are more or less satisfied with them. $100 for a working one seems pretty good deal. I'd probably buy it for that just to fiddle with it. Eham gives is a rating of 4.2 out of 5. But that being said there are some scathing reviews about it as well.

The 735 I would definitely snag for $100. It's an all around decent transceiver. Eham gives it a 4.8 rating which is pretty darn good.

VK6APZ and US7IGN like this.
  3. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

IMHO ( since you asked for it ) the 725 is a very good basic radio.
    Not a lot of bells and whistles, but I do know of some who use them for contest rigs.
    The only problem I had out of the one I owned was a burned out back light and if you got to happy running a full output mode, the fan could not keep up and it would shut down from heat. ( such as 100 watts out in a rtty contest) I aimed a desk fan at it and kept going.
    For 100 bucks .... I'd buy another one!
    No experience with the 735, but seriously ... an HF rig for 100 bucks, if it works, it's worth it!

Matt

KK4YPQ and KC9YGN like this.
  4. KK4YPQ

KK4YPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

BUY BOTH OF THEM AND GET ON THE AIR AND HAVE FUN! DANA 73.

KC9YGN likes this.
  5. WB1FDW

WB1FDW Ham Member QRZ Page

Rod,
    Icom IC-735....I have one from 1984 ! Great rig. I had the caps changed out by ICOM after 17 years. It's in my shack and I use it today.
    But For $100 I'd buy it if you don't like it. ICOM is a great radio. I don't know about the other radio IC 725...
    Best to you - Enjoy !
    73s Hope the comments help you.
    David,
    WB1FDW

6. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I own both a ic 725 and ic 735---the 725 is a good basic radio but the ic 735 in my opinion is a great little radio...I inherited the 735 from my Dad who is sk....many hams say that the receiver on the 735 is a great little receiver...I used the 735 for a few years and liked it but I wanted something updated and now use an icom 7300

7. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 725 I had was a bow-wow. It turned me off to ICOM for a long time. The receiver suffered from terrible front end overload. QST even published a set of very extensive modifications for the 725, to get the receiver under control. If those extensive mods have been done, the 725 was a decent rig. I did the first set of mods, but balked at the final set because I was afraid I'd destroy the radio - the mods were that involved. With the first set of mods, the radio was somewhat improved.

If you do buy the radio and it's unmodified, learn to use the attenuator. Sometimes, using the attenuator and the preamp at the same time works.

The 735, on the other hand, is quite a nice rig if working right.

8. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a IC-735 and think it's a great radio. It's very rugged and is one of the first ICOM radios to have CAT (CI-V) capability. I use my IC-735 for CW and Digital Modes. My computer interface is home brew and can be viewed on one of my web pages at ICOM IC-735 - Digital Modes.

I have recently seen IC-735s going for around $400, with power supply. For example, http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/icom-ic-735.635765/#post-4875445.

That still makes $100 a good deal.

The IC-735 does not come without it's problems/issues. ICOM used cheap plastic trimmers in the PLL. The trimmers cause distorted Rx/Tx. It's not to difficult to fix that problem. If the unit is a early production unit, it can have CW chirp issues.

I have never used a IC-725, so I can't say anything about it.