ad: w5yi

Opinions on Yaesu FT-991 vs. Yaesu FT DX 1200

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KG5NNA, Aug 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KB6HRT

KB6HRT Ham Member QRZ Page

korky,
    Have had both radios, have the 991 now it works great, once I got it programed good signal to noise ratio and easy to use, have not had it to long
    Had 2 FT1200 the second one was a lot better that the first, the output audio was very good on the FT1200, but would give the 991 the call on the receive. ........73s...........kb6hrt

2. CO8TH

CO8TH Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking about Yaesu FT... I have a grandfather of FT. It is FT-101zd !nice radio! but suddenly the final tubes have become in "red color", they are very hot during the Tx operations, could you suggest what is happening to my FT-101ZD. I would be very grateful if anybody help me to solve this problem. Thanks a lot!!! co8th

3. KA8UGB

KA8UGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Own own an FT-991 as well as a FT-1000MP
    Th 991 is a really good rig. I have not experienced any of the problems some have. I did learn early on that it is possible to over drive the rig and it does get 'dirty'.
    Proper adherence to ALC limits does wonders. Have had it on an analyzer, IMD is well under published spec.

If I could, i'd run it mobile. Hi Hi

W9FTV likes this.
  4. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a good rig and mine has served me very well. ALC on it is very touchy.
    Keeping tabs on it is a constant. From one transmission to the next, it can and does change. Switching bands, I've learned to keep a close eye on the DT gain, since I do mostly digital modes now.

I'm fairly new to ham radio so it's quite possible it's something I'm doing wrong.

To be fair, my fan dipole antenna is too large for my yard, and could be installed in a better (higher) location. Just another noob wanting to get on the air ;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    KA8UGB likes this.
  5. W4YAT

W4YAT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no experience with the 991, but have owned several other Yaseu radios. Most recently Ft-450d. I received my FTdx-1200 last night and will say that for me, it's head and shoulders above the 450 in receive quality. I'm used to Yaesu menus, so that's of no concern.

I unboxed, hooked up the power supply and made 2dx and 1 stateside contact in less than 30 mins of operating. spent the rest of the time getting familiar with all the new, to me, features. I'm extremely satisfied with the purchase and look forward to experimenting with different mics to see how it performs during transmit. First impressions are a 5++.

AE9AM and KA8UGB like this.
  6. N0KCK

N0KCK Ham Member QRZ Page

"However, I recently was made aware of the Yaesu-991 which is priced about the same at the FT DX 1200 but includes HF+2m+70cm all in one unit. This would save me the cost of having to buy a separate dual-band mobile unit (still would need the power supply). Both seem like excellent starter units for me so I wonder if anyone has gone through the same kind of wrestling between these two?

I am limited in space on my property in a suburban residential neighborhood, so I'm probably going to be only working a limited portion of the HF band, but I do want to get into digital modes."

I own both the FTDX-1200 (Which I purchased first) and then later purchased the FT-991A (To replace my aging Icom IC-706MKIIG). I am very happy with both Yaesu radios. I use the FTDX-1200
    mainly for HF and HF digital (I.E. FT8) modes. And use the FT-991A for VHF/UHF and for it's C4FM modes. I have not have any performance issues with either radio.

KA8UGB likes this.