ad: elecraft

Opinions on Yaesu FT-991 vs. Yaesu FT DX 1200

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KG5NNA, Aug 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KM4RFI

KM4RFI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have recently purchased a FT-991, and I am very very pleased with this radio. I have not had the opportunity to try out the FT-1200. But, I have heard great things. I really wanted the option for an all mode radio. And, that is why I chose the 991 over the 1200. Digital sounds great on 2m/70cm as well as analog. I live on a very small piece of property. In a home owners association. And with two verticals, I can hit local repeaters 40 miles out, and my farthest contact was Croatia from Florida a few evenings ago. You can't go wrong with either one. You just must decide what matters most to you. An all mode rig, or two rigs one being a little better for HF.

2. WB4WHJ

WB4WHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the info.

3. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought the 1200 last summer and it exceeds my needs in an HF radio. It's attached most of the time to a ZS6BKW G5RV at 55' and is a ball to use. I've been a ham for almost 30 years and have owned a lot of hf radios including the Icom 756pro2. I'll keep this 1200 until it goes dead as I will my beautiful TS-830S ;)

4. K3DGR

K3DGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With a real-time dynamic scope!! on the FT-991A model only!..73's Dave,aa3ej

5. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a '991 and find the small scope pretty much useless, Given that the A model has the same display, I'd find it just as useless. Other than that nit, it's a solid radio for me.

6. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, a standard USB A to B cable is all you need. Amazon has them by the boatload.

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the rather enviable position of living close to an HRO store. There is nothing less enjoyable than sitting in front of the complete Yaesu, ICOM, or Kenwood line up of HF transceivers all fed from an excellent antenna and doing an operational comparison. I tuned strong. medium, and weak signals on SSB and CW. The comparisons were obvious. You get what you pay for! Wow!!
    All of my recent experience has been with Yaesu rigs so I know what my "next" rig is going to be. I have listened to the 450D, 991, 1200, and the 3000. I'm going to stick with my entry level 450D until I can afford the 3000. Once you listen to the receiver quality of the 3000 anything else is a compromise.
    The only bad thing about the HRO installation is that it is very good for doing in situ comparisons of each manufacturer with all models side by side. Comparing an ICOM or Kenwood to a Yaesu requires repositioning on the bench and is not quite as good of a comparison.

8. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've owned the FT-920, FT-950, FT-2000 and now the FTDX-1200 and I can say without a doubt the FTDX-1200 has the best receiver of them all. You can dial the CW DSP filter down to 50Hz with no ringing at all. Super quiet receiver as well.

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whatever it takes to get on the air...450D or 991. Any port in a storm. After that initial expenditure you can evaluate how much time per month you will operate. The more you operate the more you will appreciate the upgrade later.

10. NI4TG

NI4TG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the dx1200 and the 7900. I like them both. You can have both on at once as opposed to having the 991 which would only allow HF or vhf, not both at once. The Yaesu DX 1200 is easy to learn to operate. But honestly, you should also consider Icom. I love my Yaesu but an icon is worth consideration.