Opinions on tower and antenna spacing?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W4PG, Jun 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nearly 25 years ago the Sargent-Major and I bought an investment Condo, which for the past several years I’ve rented out. I felt it was becoming a liability and we decided to sell it. The lease was actually in my name rather than an LLC and I had never gotten around to changing it (I don’t practice law anymore and just didn’t worry about it). Figuring one day the tenant would burn the place down then sue me, it seemed the better part of valor was just to sell (hang with me here).

So one night recently I asked the Sargent-Major I did, “What shall we do with the money?” She said, “Why don’t you use that for your new tower project at the farm?” (We recently bought a 2nd home in South Dakota and I have been talking about putting in a shack and maybe a tower).

I steadied myself holding on to the table I was standing beside as I felt the blood rushing to my feet, pondering if I had just heard what I thought I had heard. Thinking there must have been some QRM on that last transmission, I asked, “Say what?” “Yea, just go buy a tower,” she replied.

With heart racing I pondered whether to feign concern over wasting the money on a tower by responding “But, but . . . “

Nah!!

I kept my mouth shut and meekly said, “Uhm . . . OK.” I mean, I wouldn’t want to cross the Sargent-Major, right?

I have made down payment on a new 120 foot LUSO crank-up. The darn thing will hold 108 sq. ft. of antennas up to 1320 lb at 57 MPH. Cranked down will survive nearly 200 MPH of wind. It gets REALLY windy in SD so it will be down most of the time I am not operating. It takes about 50 seconds to rise up and down.

So now to the meat of the matter.

I’m going with JK antennas. The JK Big Tri, the JK3040SR and the JK1217. I might also stick a JK801 80 meter dipole somewhere on the tower as well. The total weight and wind load are well within the specs of the tower.

LUSO suggested a mast of 4.5 inches OD that is a bit over 29 feet long. About 9 feet are in the tower. If I put everything on the mast, the spacing between the antennas is going to be about 4 feet or more. I think that is WAY too close together. I also was thinking of using the heavy duty DX Engineering mast but it is only 22 feet. I just don’t like the idea of a 4.5 inch OD mast . . . gonna have to conjure up some special mast to boom plates.

SO, my idea now is to use the 29 foot mast in spite of the large diameter, put ONLY the beams on it, which I can then get 7-8 feet of spacing or more, then put the 80 meter dipole down on the tower at the 90 foot level. I will not be able to rotate the dipole but no big deal. I’ll set it up broadside to Europe. I don’t work 80 that much anyway. Yea yea, it would be ideal to have the 80 meter dipole at the top, but that just doesn’t seem in the cards.

I came along in the times where we said 10 feet of spacing was necessary and that is what I have done in the past, but only with a SteppIR and 2 ele 40 meter beam. Not gonna be able to get 10 feet of spacing but maybe 8.

What’s wrong with this plan? Anything major I am missing??

Oh, gonna use a Prop-Pitch rotor. There is the option to rotate the entire tower but that really adds a lot of extra cost and for my purposes, not really necessary.

N5YPJ and K0UO like this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations!:)

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Luso towers are amazing. I don't have one, but have seen them at the DX Convention and I was sure impressed. What a great choice.

As for everything else: "South Dakota?":p

I spent a month there one night.:)

4. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

South Dakota is beautiful. In the summer.

AK5B likes this.
  5. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

XYL's family is there so that's why SD. I was up there in January and was talking with a couple of locals, told them we were from FL and just bought a house there. They looked at me like I was completely nuts. :eek:

I'm tired of the heat and humidity here in FL so liking the cooler weather in that neck of the woods. Even had the snow-blower running! Wife's trying to make a farmer out of me but I'm thinking more of farming antennas, actually! ;)

............Bob

WB5YUZ and AK5B like this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

See if Luso sells tower seeds.

If you sow them now, you may have several towers next trip up there.

K0UO likes this.
  7. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice! Have you thought about having a fixture made to mount a smaller mast (maybe 3" on top of the 4.5" ? Just a few feet would give you your needed spacing and the little extra height on 80 sure wouldn't hurt a thing.

9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It was great working you on 17 meters today, good luck on your project.

73 from the
    K0UO Rhombic Antenna Farm is located at the Kansas QTH with over Two miles of Wire in the Air & On the Air, “The RF Gotta-Go-Somewhere"!

10. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

Congratulations and good luck! Enjoy having a blank canvass to design your antenna farm.