[Opinions]Ham Radio IRC chat client

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3DZJ, Jan 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3DZJ

KC3DZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I should preface this post by saying that I'm a highschaool student studying engineering and electronics, although software development is not my strong suit. An important part of my senior year is the Senior Project, which I will be developing over the next year and a half. I will also be testing for my General license this week, and I expect to pass.

I wanted to ask the QRZ forums what they thought about a typeface IRC client that uses ham radio frequencies to transmit text and possibly small images using discrete radios, if possible.

Outline:

- IRC client allowing the typing and sending of text
    - Uses Ham frequencies, possibly data (30 meter) or even digital -> analog CW signal -> digital translation
    - Possibly, an IOS app allowing for local retransmission using LAN, and failing that, discrete transmitter/recievers

Client features:

- License validator, required validated input to use a callsign and transmit
    - Small profile images, one-time send, < 150KB
    - Cache files for friends lists and profile pictures
    - Possibly a channel scanner that scans valid bands/frequencies/channels and then delays messages to check if the band is free before transmitting (would require development, but is a seller point)

It's perhaps not the most useful thing, but being able to send IRC messages without internet access is pretty cool, and I'd like to make a fairly unique senior project.

Does QRZ think it's possible? Thoughts/comments/criticism/suggestions/volunteers welcome! Thank you for your time in reading this lengthy post.

2. W5WN

W5WN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I commend you for your creative thinking! I believe it is not only possible but would probably be a very handy and useful app. It sounds like a lot of work and maybe more than what might be practical for a senior project. There are some programmers on the forums here that may be able to give you some good technical advice. Good luck!

KC3DZJ likes this.