Opinion: Are Icom IC-718 and 7200 Prepper Radios?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AF4CQ, Mar 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AF4CQ

AF4CQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was looking at one for camping, but the used market is dry. Hardly ever see either of them for sale here or on QTH. eBay has a few 718's, but the prices are ridiculous. Icom still makes the outdated 718 and I was surprised the 7200 was dropped. Finding a 7200 in camo is impossible. Are these popular with the preppers? Opinions?

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OMG OMG! They are camouflaged and nobody can find them.

WX7P, US7IGN, WN1MB and 11 others like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I found out when visiting the Skunkworks site up in Mojave I can see a Stealth Bomber and a Stealth Fighter just fine.

They're big.

RADAR is too dumb and doesn't have eyes.:p

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK... explain to me why you think the 718 is outdated? Lack of a waterfall does not count.

M0TTQ likes this.
  5. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with a 718 except the crazy prices on flea bay!

W4IOA likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 718 was a good deal for a very long time, but it's also very outdated today.

An IC-7300 isn't much more, and has rather improved overall performance. Then, so does almost anything modern.

As so many discovered, lack of an internal ATU is a pretty big drawback with a solid-state transceiver. DSP filtering is easier than trying to install several IF filters and can work about as well, at much lower cost.

Long live the 718, but I wouldn't want one (having used them). Never used a 7200 so can't comment on that one.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. KA3CTQ

KA3CTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless you are colorblind. Then you just say, "There is a radio over there that has splotchy grey paint on it."

8. N1YR

N1YR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose if you have a radio, and consider yourself a prepper, then anything is a prepper radio.

I think despite the title of the thread, you are looking for a 7200 not a 718. I do admit, the 7200 in camo does look 'tacti-cool' in the photos I've seen. I don't think it would get laughed at by the guys 'at camp.'

WX7P and KL7KN like this.
  9. KI4MYD

KI4MYD Ham Member QRZ Page

Complete lack of roofing filters and no ability to adjust passband width makes the radio a bear to use in a crowded band or on 40M/80M. No IF DSP (only AF) also has its drawbacks. Other than that it still hangs in there with the best of them!

10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Opinion: Are Icom IC-718 and 7200 Prepper Radios?

They may be but why just those two? When you are referencing "Preppers" are you talking about those who are licensed or those who are not? I always thought it was a bit strange to spend hundreds or more on the radio you can not use and may never use while waiting for the "big one" to happen. But it's your money.