Operators that use vintage tube gear vs SS- List your radio

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N8FVJ, Nov 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

List your 'daily driver' vintage tube HF gear you use and why you prefer it to SS (solid-state) gear..
    I'll go first- National NCX-5. It sound much better and more clear than any SS I used and has quieter background noise. I do not have any other tube transceivers.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Mine changes all the time - right now I'm running a hybrid Kenwood TS-820S and LOVE it. Fabulous radio. Right before that I ran my Henry Radio Tempo One - also a pretty amazing rig. Just finished its "Nostalgic Worked All States". I will also rotate in my Heathkit SB-301/SB-401 or SB-101 - also fabulous old tube rigs. Once in a while, the Eico 753 comes into the main position - but just for contesting. Too drifty for conversational use. In the "radio hospital" is a decent FT-101E that still needs going through, that will surely end up in the main position one day down the road.

My SS rigs are just for digital FT8, RTTY, or stuff like a rare DX that I simply must get in the log and need the tight digital CW filters. They both are cool but IMO lack the soul of the old rigs. I have an IC-7300 and Yaesu FT-950.... both very competent but I don't enjoy using them as much as the old rigs.

Dave
    W7UUU

K9ASE and AF7XT like this.
  3. W5JAI

W5JAI Ham Member QRZ Page

My rig is Collins S Line and several others. I have ONLY one SS rig, an ICOM 724 and I rarely use it.

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. N8FVJ

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In operation for more than 25 years. A few parts failures in all that time, which is to be expected, considering the age and provenance of the parts.

7. WD0GOF

WD0GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

K9ASE, AF7XT and KA0HCP like this.
  8. N8FVJ

You do not need an amplifier with the Hurricane. I see a lot of SR-160s for sale, but few SR-150.

9. WD0GOF

WD0GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the SR-160's were prone to drift. If you don't know how to clean them up they can be difficult. They are also a tri-bander, but the way the bands are now no 15 or 10 meters is not an issue. Another thing about the SR-160, it is easily converted to an SR-500. For more on the "little radio that could", see: https://wd0gof.com/hallicrafters-radio/technical-discussions/sr-160-500/

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/11...at_K9STH-9_January_2015.pdf?ver=1570751569858

Order in which equipment used:

SSB:

#1: Collins 32S-3 transmitter, Collins 75S-3A receiver, Henry / Tempo 2001 linear amplifier.

#2: Heath SB-401 transmitter, Heath SB-301 receiver, Heath SB-200 linear amplifier.

#3: Kenwood TS-830S transceiver (actually a hybrid) and Heath SB-200 linear amplifier.

#4: Collins 32S-1 transmitter, Collins 75S-1 receiver, Heath SB-200 linear amplifier.

#5: Eldico T-102 transmitter, Eldico R-104 receiver, Heath SB-200 linear amplifier.

AM:

#1: WRL Globe Champion 350A transmitter and Collins 75A-2 receiver.

#2: Heath TX-1 "Apache" transmitter and Heath RX-1 "Mohawk" receiver.

Glen, K9STH