Operation of YouKits HB-1B

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KD8ZM, Jan 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WM7WM

WM7WM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m looking for the original email exchange from Yimin at Youkits and will cut and paste the essentials here when I do.

Wes
    WM7WM

2. WM7WM

3. W6JJZ

W6JJZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did this mod several months ago when I saw Wes's eBay review. It works as he says--in other words, very well. I used a 1/4 watt resistor because it was all I had in my junkbox. A 1/8 watt would fit better.

Charlie
    W6JJZ

WM7WM likes this.
  4. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Much better, thank you!
    I won't ask about the polarity of the resistor! :)

WM7WM likes this.
  5. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got the HB1A Mk 2 mini CD that came with the rig with other stuff on if that's any good.

Dave

6. WM7WM

All-

So now we need a source for the batteries Youkits will not ship to us. It’s a 11.1v 3S battery and I assume LIO and not LIPO as it has no protection circuit but I could be mistaken. I’m trying to source a supplier (In China) but having trouble exactly matching the battery in the HB1B and with the same connector. Ugh. Anyone know a source?

Wes
    WM7WM

7. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wes, I'm confused by your comment so I opened up my hb1b and took this photo. All very standard batteries, connector, and holder. What part of this is causing you pain? Let me know and I'll try to help.
    Brady

Attached Files:

8. WM7WM

3C60B061-B5CA-40EE-906A-F3ECFCB78400.jpeg yours are 14500’s. Mine are 18650’s. A bit more umph. I can’t find the 18650 battery back that I bought from Vibroplex when they had the Youkits distibution agreement with Youkits. Maybe it was Tentec. Youkits won’t ship the battery to the USA. I can’t find the holder you have either. Looked on eBay, Amazon, and all the usual places. Maybe I’m not searching correctly. What is your tray called with that type of connector? Either way it looks like this:

9. WM7WM

63534017-12FD-4AAE-B73A-9D88E735E01B.png Found the connector. Finally. Amazon.

10. WM7WM

I know we are supposed to sign our posts. I couldn’t open a text line after adding the photo.

Wes
    WM7WM