ad: cq2k-1

Operation of YouKits HB-1B

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KD8ZM, Jan 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WM7WM

WM7WM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Br
    Brady-

One last question: where did you get the cable for your key? I’ve been looking for nice, cloth covered cable for some time that isn’t shielded, but true 2 or three conductor braided wire, to replace all my boring key/paddle cables.

Wes
    WM7WM

2. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Wes. Thank you. I usually use either the LNR 40-30-20 end-fed dipole (which needs no antenna tuner), or the W1SFR end fed random wire antenna. Both are held up in the air with a 32' MFJ collapsible fiberglass pole. This setup works great. Of course, a person could use a tree to support the wires but I find that throwing things up into trees is a lot more trouble than simply heisting a fiberglass pole into the air.

3. KD8ZM

N4BC and WM7WM like this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sure I would never buy a radio with no tuning knob and no Volume knob !!!! Just too strange for me !

5. KD8ZM

I once said the same, but it's extremely easy to use! I absolutely love that little radio.

6. WM7WM

Brady-

I have the latest version of the HB-1B and mine too suffered from very faint Morse notifications. I emailed Yimin at Youkits, and he sent me a fix. Check out my review of the HB1B on eBay. I explain what Yimin sent me and have a photo of the fix. It’s merely a 4.7K ohm resister soldered to the bottom of the board in the location noted in the review and shown in the picture. The mod greatly improved the audibility of the Morse notifications and Yimin started he’d be fixing the problem in the next model. Whenever that is. He, and everyone at the company is incommunicado. Zilch. I’ve had previous contacts with another Youkits employee and that contact is not responding either. Not sure what’s going on there.

Wes
    WM7WM

KD8ZM likes this.
  7. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I see the website shows expansion to other countries, and that is resources intensive, both personnel and parts.

I have YouKits TJ2B "Mk II" and YouKits FG-01 1-72 MHz, with no complaints.

I think most customers here are consumers.

It is a different expectation, than being an early adopter on a business developing products for amateur radio end-users, or a handy radio amateur that expects to refine a product, or rather, get everything the way they like it.

My changes are modest. I want an accessory ear-mic.

Do you know which one available will work?

8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

You are not alone. I bought a used PFR-3, a very nice rig designed by KD1JV. It used push-button tuning like several other rigs designed by Steve. While an excellent radio (very hot RX) - the tuning was only in 50HZ increments and that coupled with the button tuning got is sold off. To be fair, the sale helped raise the funds form y KX-2.

The PFR-3B now offers rotary tuning - still with 50HZ increments. Good to see both Steve and Pacific Antennas (the vendor selling the rig) have been listening to their customer base.

9. KD8ZM

Hi Wes - very intriguing for such a simple fix. I looked on eBay, found your review, but unfortunately the photo of the PCB in that review is literally 1/4 the size of a postage stamp, and therefore unusable. Do you still have the original photo you could please post here? 73
    Brady

10. WM7WM

E45B9BEF-9045-44D8-88C8-00B0C6505F6E.jpeg There is one photo on a thread I posted regarding the HB1B that may be higher resolution here on QRZ forums. This should get you close though E45B9BEF-9045-44D8-88C8-00B0C6505F6E.jpeg

KD8ZM likes this.