ad: Radclub22-1

Operating Remote! Game Changer!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W2RE, May 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W2SFD

W2SFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm, yes, but they did not differentiate between the two, it was "remotes", lumped as one. I see it as no different than heading to PJ2T, it's just pay to play with nicer weather. Could really throw things overboard with using remotes for DXCC credit, baaahhhhaaaa.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, and I guess that's where we differ. And that's OK. :)

I don't see a remote as a home station. A home station is an antenna in my yard and a radio in my house while I operate from within the same house. I'm competing with what I have in front of me. Just like a race car driver competes with what he has in front of him. Renting out PJ2T is using what you have in front of you (assuming you operate from PJ2T). When I operate from home, or mobile, or wherever, I have to work around whatever QRM and QRN comes with that territory, whether it be storms, neighbors, antenna limitations, whatever.

When you tunnel through the internet to operate a remote station, you are no longer using what you have in front of you. You are leveraging additional non-amateur communications infrastructure to go above and beyond what you can do from your QTH of choice. Now you aren't competing using a ham station. You are using a ham station plus commercial communications infrastructure to make your contacts. In my mind, a 1M-point score using that setup isn't the same level of accomplishment as a 1M-point score from a guy like me who operated through the challenges of his own QTH.

To me, remote contesting is like a guy who drives his NASCAR by remote control from the stands. It's not the same level of accomplishment as the guy who got in the hot smelly dangerous car, and drove to the checkered flag.

And again, my opinion is meaningless and I accept that -- what matters is the people who write the rules for the contests, and for the moment, they don't care if you operate remotely.

3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah... it did steer away a bit, as do all threads here.

4. DU7DVE

DU7DVE Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe they should make different categories for direct operation and remote.

KK5JY likes this.
  5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes unfortunately. You can now sit in a trailer park, apartment, etc anywhere in the USA and have the same DXCC credits as someone who has worked at it for decades in the same town. No skills needed. No hard work and lost sleep either.

Ive quit updating my various DXCC's and other counters including 300 on 160.

The ARRL sucks.

NK9Y, KD2ACO and WR2E like this.
  6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO QRZ Lifetime Member #174 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Carl, I slightly modified your quote. :p:p

I can certainly see your point!

KM1H likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You can do remote on a smart phone but it is a pain. The latency on phone is palpable.

8. K9IK

K9IK Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion, I think it's an excuse. For many of us, one of the beauty and fun way to do amateur radio is to find a way to operate our amateur radio stations in places where we cannot have big antennas or antennas at all. In those situations, we make our brains work and find ways to install antennas (low profile or hidden antennas) to make short and long distance contact without the help of local internet service. It looks like some of us depend so much on internet, we even pay a yearly subscription with per minute fee to use it.
    If some of us really depend on the internet to operate our ham radio stations, will we be able to use our stations to save lives and properties when disasters strike? Imagine you are in a hotel room or at home (HOA) and disaster strikes. Internet and phone are down, will you not be able to use your ham radio to call for help, only because you do not have internet? Just imagine that.

Some of us, use the internet to do radio just for fun, emergency (We can receive e-mail from other hams in distress who use digital to send text and e-mail), and also it's a free service (EchoLink), but we do not use it as an answer for living in HOA or finding ourself in a hotel room. Watch why we need the internet for ham radio by opening the following YouTube link

9. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your input. In my case, am getting ready to sell my business, so the wife and I can travel. The plan is to ready the shack here in Illinois, for remote operation from wherever we are at a given time. Don't care to jump on a plane from Arizona in February, land in Illinois, then drive to the shack in snow and ice. Repeating the process, each time a new one shows up. May consider a second "winter" shack at a later date.

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

And you don't have to build a station, or own any ham radio gear at all. You don't need any antennas, and you don't have to fight any RFI. Just swipe the card.

KM1H likes this.
  11. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

And have people believe you are a real ham instead of a wannabe poseur.

KK5JY likes this.
  12. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

For my entire life, have been considered the "real deal", in my chosen profession. Never been called a wannabe poseur before, even though countless others have tried, and subsequently failed, to copy my method of success. But that is fine Carl, each are entitled to live their own life, their own way. My way is to travel, and not set around the house waiting for the DX net to chime in a new one. If I am tuning the bands from the shack in Illinois, or tuning the bands (with that same shack) via internet, while riding a horse in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona.......... Suffice to say, both involve skill. Hope to meet you on the bands sometime. Rest assured, if I do hear you while on a horse, I will be sure to switch over to a "real" radio, with a "real" Master Mobile All-Bander Antenna. But will have to be on a frequency above 20 meters, because the counterpoise will be too long to drag behind the horse's tail. hihi