ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Operating Remote! Game Changer!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W2RE, May 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W2RE

W2RE Ham Member QRZ Page

The best method to operate has been with a K3 and RRC (RemoteRig). The RHR team has eliminated the need for the interface box using software.

Plug your K3/mini directly to your PC and operate some of the best station in the USA and abroad w/o the headaches of configuring an RRC interface box. This video explains the step by step instructions on how to get a K3/mini setup and running. It's really easy! Learn more here: http://www.RemoteHamRadio.com

2. NR5O

NR5O Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why remote, how is that a challenge?

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I tend to agree. I don't see the appeal of HF hamming that requires the Internet. Why not just use the Internet to talk to people and skip the radio? It's a lot cheaper and there are lots more people to talk to. The whole point of using HF radio is to communicate without the need for communications infrastructure.

To each his own, I suppose. Remote HF seems to be creating a bit of a following. I hope the people who do this are writing to the FCC, Congress, ARRL, whoever is needed to get the RFI issues fixed where they live, so they can find a way to operate without the 'net.

K7XRL likes this.
  4. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To be fair, I remote from my back deck with a cigar and a snifter of scotch occasionally. But I just remote in to the station laptop from another laptop, so the remote part is just the connection between computers. Of course without a bluetooth headset I cannot work Phone, so I settle for Digital and CW (via keyboard control). If remote means from a hotel room somewhere, that sounds cool but it's not for me. :)

K8EB likes this.
  5. KC2THY

KC2THY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Remote is often the only alternative for folks living in HOA restricted communities. I had to operate from a picnic table in a park for five years before remote became a possibility. That meant no operating at night or on rainy or snowy days.

W2SFD, K0PIR and WA7PRC like this.
  6. W2MGF

W2MGF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yES WHEN I HAD THE PROBLEM WITH MY K3/0 THEY HELPED ME HOOK IT UP YES BUT WHEN I WAS GETTING TROUBLE NO SUPPORT
    AT ALL ALL THEY SAID USE WEBDX WHICH I DIDT WANT TO USE THAT

7. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

i like the idea of remote - I do it myself sometimes using a much less pricey setup (see Chrome Remote Desktop)

However, I am remoting into my own station while it is I that am remote. If there will ever be any question about remote radio work it will be the use of remote stations around the US to take advantage of varying propogation. For instance, if Im not hearing SE Asia from Georgia can I remote into a station on the west coast to make my contact?

8. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Am just getting back to dxing, so my question is. Do remote contacts count at the DXCC desk?

9. W2RE

W2RE Ham Member QRZ Page

NK9Y and W2SFD like this.
  10. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course you could. It's not the way I want to do ham radio....I want to make the contact from MY own station using my own antennas and equipment. As long as I am physically able, I will never live anywhere that I can't do that. If I can't work Bangladesh from my station in N. WI. so be it. But I have worked most everything everywhere. Operating somebody else's superstation remotely doesn't trip my trigger in the least.

Now, not having a crystal ball is a handicap...who knows maybe at some point in the future I will have to live someplace where antennas are verboten. Then at least I could get on the air SOMEHOW. I think of people in assisted living centers and nursing homes and I always feel sad that somebody may have to give up amateur radio. At least the capability to operate remotely means they won't necessarily have to go completely without.

11. N7IPY

N7IPY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the process of getting a remote station on the air. This way I can listen in to various nets throughout the day during breaks or at lunch time while at work or from in the house while 'spending time with the family'; the radios are in a different building out back. My hope is this will give me more time on the air as I just don't have the time to sit in front of the radios out in the shack.

12. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

original comment removed.

I should have watched the video BEFORE posting my original comment. I thought this was something of value. MORE CLICK BAIT.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  13. KC2UPN

KC2UPN Ham Member QRZ Page

Remote is not only for DX. Some like rag chew, operate nets and others contest. There are hams living in apartments, condo's, HOA's that are winning major contests using the Remote Technology. The best contest operators in the world don't necessarily own the biggest stations and some don't own a station at all.
    Here is a newsletter with winning results operating remote. http://conta.cc/2qtU7NQ

14. KK5JY

You mean other than mobile, portable, indoor antennas, negotiating with the HOA, etc.? I did HF successfully from a "no antennas" apartment for years. Yes it's more challenging, but so is remote operating.

WF9Q likes this.
  15. KK5JY

So much for competition, huh? :) That's like Tony Stewart driving his NASCAR by remote control from his ranch. The technology can definitely make that possible, but there's no sport in it. Unless the drivers are behind the wheel, it's no more than a drone race.

I guess it's time for a new operating category in major contests, then -- "Operator at Station Location." :cool: