ad: GNOHF-1

Operating on 60 meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WY4K, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Re the RULES Concerning 60 M.
    I have been operating CW since the rule change allowed it in early 2012, I will NOT reply to a station who answers my CQ more than 25 Hz off te center freq of the channel, he is breaking the rules. I will not anwwer a CQ that is off the Center freq of the channel, either.

I have heard or read some big time DIGI mode ops state you can place multiple station DIGI signals anywhere in the channel and be legal, Very suspicious , sounds like a flaunting of the possible rule ambiguity. The DIGI guys seem to think the tones you send from a computer to the SSB rig don't count as separate digital modulated carriers. In total, several separate signals occupy the bandwidth of a SSB channel , Count as a single SSB signal ?????
    I don't think the govt monitors would consider it a complex SSB signal at all.
    Any Debate >?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Its heralded by advocates as the best HF NVIS propagation band, ie, a quality that could be particularly conducive in mountainous terrain, so 60m may be the best choice for some SOTA operations.

An occasional special event or SOTA outing is hardly something to worry about. It's not like the channels other then ch 3 are particularly busy anyway, by ANY users. IMO, unless there is a more specific cause for complaint, for all amateur spectrum allocations its more important to observe a "use it or lose it" bias.

My fav 60m operation so far was K1N on Navassa in 2015 making 412 SSB QSO's with 23 DXCC entities, in just a few hours on that band!

BIG pileups. Lotsa serious radio skills practice for potential real emergencies.

NO OFFICIAL COMPLAINT!

3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, lets put that statement to a simple test.

I am the ONLY station using a channel, Perhaps I am calling CQ. be it on CW, fone, or digital mode.

THEN

a second station (which I may or may not even hear) starts to use the same channel.
    Does that now make my calling CQ illegal?

Bottom Line: I am only transmitting one signal/channel.

I am not responsible or accountable for OTHER stations.

W0PV likes this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Lotsa debate previously on this thread, read up.

Like this, "In an e-mail response to ARRL Chief Executive Officer David Sumner, K1ZZ,, Karl Nebbia, Associate Administrator of the NTIA Office of Spectrum Management, stated, “NTIA has no interest in limiting the types of emission used by the amateurs as long as the data emission does not exceed the 2.8 kHz bandwidth generated by the upper sideband transmitter.”

Like this --- everybody is xmitting ONE AFSK signal per SSB channel, SSB RF subcarrier centered at 1500hz, and all signals within 2.8 kHz limits.

[​IMG]

W4NNF likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Something to keep in mind is that the current limitations and conditions with respect to use of 60m by amateurs is very jurisdiction-specific. That has a lot to do with the specific per-country allocations and allocation methods (channels vs. band), and it also means that much of the 60m discussion in recent days is very US-specific. It also means that what we see in the waterfall can easily be a hodge-podge of different users with very different requirements and permissible uses.

E.g., there are countries where using all of 5357kHz for FT8 may be perfectly lawful. The US isn't one of them, but even if the US users stop using anything but the center frequency, we'll definitely still see FT8 DX stations all over the 2.8kHz of that channel.

At the moment, 60m is just a mess.

6. KK5JY

No, it makes their transmission a violation of the rules, assuming that they are also a US amateur station, and that you were using the actual channel (CW calling in the center of the 2.8kHz passband, etc.).

WU8Y likes this.
  7. KK5JY

Assuming that picture came from a 60m channel, there is, at most, one rules-compliant US amateur user in that picture. One.

KY8D likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How can you determine which one? What if W0PV's rig is 50 Hz off? What is the tolerance required?

9. KK5JY

I can't tell you since I can't copy from a waterfall picture. :) Given the single-signal-per-channel requirement, it's really moot, too. The first guy who was "reasonably close"(*) to centered is the only compliant US user on the channel. Everybody else isn't on the channel, by definition, they are "somewhere else." The channel is the center frequency, described in 47 CFR 97.303(h), and the rest of the digimode signal has to be centered thereupon.

(*) ... a term whose definition you won't find in the rules, like much of Part 97.

10. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"No fries! Chips!"

"Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger!"