Operating on 60 meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WY4K, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill, Thinking about your query... What else can you do on FT8 except collect points?

I am 72 years old which according to other posters in the forums means good for nothing except complaining about my gout and lumbago. I certainly can't do that on FT8, so points collecting is all It is good for.

John
    K4AGO

KK5JY likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, same thing with DX pileups.

3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

@N1FM is here - now its a party! :p
    That wouldn't come close to even covering costs of USPS Certified mail to all involved 60m amateur users if FCC sent NAL for alleged potential FT8 infractions for just this year. :eek::D

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a problem with the "points collections" objection on 60m.

Besides contests, special events, IOTA or whatever harmless amateur related activities, guess what else is a "points collection" event?

The ARRL Simulated Emergency Tests. - "The ARRL Simulated Emergency Test is a scored nationwide full-scale emergency communication exercise involving ARES, NTS, and others."

Government users of 60m, MARS, SHARES, FEMA, have run "interoperability" tests on the band with hams, with a delightfully whacker tactical codename Black Swan 18 :rolleyes: , and "ARRL Field Organization teams have been invited to adapt this activity as the basis of their annual (scored) Simulated Emergency Test (SET)." :eek:

Not advocating contests and such outside of their current amateur allocations, just sayin' that using the IARU declaration for justification to declare 60m a WARC band doesn't fit.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  5. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And every NAL/FO would cost the government about $100,000+ with a ROI of maybe, 2% or less, max?

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

And remember, THOSE funds go to the treasury's General Fund, and the FCC sees not a penny of it.:(

7. N1FM

Here let me get that for you Larry!

https://www.itu.int/search#?ex=false&q=WARC&fl=0&target=All

There's this little searchy doo-dad on the top o' the page and you type in your question and a magickal genie provides the answer! I didn't know what you were looking for because I forgot my Wizard's hat, but I highlighted the most relevant WARC sections for you.

Anything else? Coke, Pepsi, Cheeseburger?

KK5JY likes this.
  8. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't get anything from a search on that web page for 'WARC contest'. I would not really consider 60 a WARC band, rather , it is a very special case, and I agree that contesting is wildly incompatible with 60 meters as it currently exists. NTIA gave us those 5 channels for the express purpose of emergency comms, and in particular, interoperability with government stations - something that gets tested from time to time. We need to be good "guests" there.

9. N1FM

Good assessment. I agree. Can you imagine a weekend of 5/9 and all the splatterbox ops on 60 meters? I shudder to think.

10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard that SOTA on 60M and thought it was in poor taste to go there.

N2SUB and KY8D like this.