Operating on 60 meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WY4K, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, bad idea, not the place to be. 73 Rich

2. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

So far this year, as a "chaser" I have worked 25 SOTA activations on 60 metres. In many ways it is an ideal band for SOTA operation if the summit has space for a 60 metre antenna. SOTA activations rarely last very long so it is not antisocial to occupy a channel for a while.

W1TRY and N2SUB like this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It certainly is at my house. :cool:

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You aren't sharing the frequencies with government agencies who have priority like we do.

W7UUU likes this.
  5. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, so somebody 'splain me this... What exactly is 60M for? 5 channels, why does anybody even bother? It's a serious question, and I've never gotten a grip on this. What's on offer here besides "uniqueness", and who are the primary users?

6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, i have 34 countries worked on 60m. Its really a good band with characteristics between 80 and 40. I'd love to see it become a 'real' band. Populating it furthers that goal.

W7UUU likes this.
  7. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch the 2nd plot of data on the webpage below for a "U" shape midday (1800Z) around 5 MHz, THAT'S why we have 5 channels in that area, it gives us NVIS comms when 80m and 40m won't.

https://region6armymars.org/resources/solarweather.php

AG6QR and WZ7U like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I want to build a 60 meter rig, but only have 47 meters so far.

Anybody know where I can get the last 13 meters for a good deal?

Seriously, it does have some amazing propagation and I'd also like to see it become a "real" band with varying frequency privileges and more power allowed. If that happened, DXCC on 60 would be quite a bit easier than 80m.

9. K5ABB

OK, NVIS I can see, but with only 5 "channels" available, seems like there might be a fight for territory...

As a DX'er, though, what is there for me outside of another "band" to try and work 100 entities on? I mean, somebody somewhere must love it, and it's their favorite band right? who are those people and why do they chose it?

What are the chances for a band expansion? I can't see it...

10. K5ABB

I can see it if we had 150Kc to play with...

KK5JY likes this.