ad: UR5CDX-1

Operating on 60 meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WY4K, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too. I went thru some ARRL pages about Volunteer Council and stuff, Technical Relations Office, ARRL General Counsel, blah blah but I come away with the feeling that there is no individual who is a spokesman for ARRL policy in such a matter.
    I might as well ask the girl at the front desk what she thinks. :(

W0PV likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will say that Mr. Henderson is probably the best contact I could find. And he does reply to member questions. You may not get the answer you want, but I strongly suspect you will get an answer.

And then you can start a new thread and share the answer with the rest of us. :D

WU8Y and W0PV like this.
  3. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure the answer is in the FCC document authorizing transmissions.

Let's see if we can figure it out.

First, here are the ARRL recommended practices:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Recommended_Practices_Version_6_5.pdf

Then the material from the FCC:

5. At the request of the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA),
    the Commission restricted amateur stations operating on the five channels in the 60 meter band to upper
    sideband (USB) voice transmissions (phone emission 2K80J3E) and to a maximum effective radiated
    power (ERP) of 50 watts (W) peak envelope power (PEP). The Commission adopted these operating
    restrictions to decrease the interference potential between amateur stations and Federal stations.

NTIA is an agency of the United States Department of Commerce that serves as the President’s principal advisor on
    telecommunications and information policy issues. NTIA manages Federal use of the radio spectrum and coordinates
    Federal use with the FCC. See 47 C.F.R. § 2.1.

9. In its petition, ARRL requested that we replace one of the five channels in the 60 meter band
    (5368 kHz) with a channel (5358.5 kHz) that NTIA has identified. ARRL based its request on reports
    from amateur operators of frequent interference from a digital signal on the existing authorized channel.
    We conclude that our proposal to replace the 5368 kHz channel with one centered on 5358.5 kHz will
    benefit amateur operations in the 60 meter band and adopt this rule change.

33. Operation on Channel Centers. Section 97.303(h) currently requires that amateur operators
    ensure that their station's transmission occupies only 2.8 kHz centered at each of the five center
    frequencies. The NPRM proposed that, for amateur stations transmitting CW emissions and PSK31 data
    emissions, the carrier frequency shall be set to the center frequency. NTIA has requested that we continue
    to restrict amateur service transmissions in this manner.59

35. By contrast, NTIA opposes the authorization of multiple emissions within a 2.8 kHz channel
    and claims that such an action would significantly increase the likelihood of harmful interference to
    important Federal operations and that difficulty in identifying interfering amateur stations could
    significantly inhibit rapid use of these channels by primary Federal stations for such uses as emergency
    communications.63 NTIA observes that all five of the channels allocated for secondary amateur service use
    are also authorized for use by primary Federal stations, and states that the five channels were provided to
    the amateur community in order to meet requirements for disaster communications, and that use of
    additional frequencies would not enhance interoperability with Federal stations.

36. We adopt the center frequency requirement as proposed in the NPRM. Because the amateur
    service operates in the 60 meter band on a secondary basis, we pay particular attention to NTIA’s position
    and the interests of Federal agencies that have primary status in the band. We conclude that continuing to
    restrict amateur stations to transmitting on the center frequencies will maintain the limited number of
    amateur operators using the five channels at any given time and provide certainty as to where such
    operations can be found. By not upsetting the expectations of the Federal users of the band, we are
    confident that they will be able to immediately reclaim these frequencies from secondary amateur radio
    operations, if and when necessary. Accordingly, we amend Section 97.303(h) to specify that control
    operators of stations transmitting phone, data, and RTTY emissions (emission designators 2K80J3E,
    2K80J2D, and 60H0J2B, respectively) may set the carrier frequency 1.5 kHz below the center frequency,
    and that, for stations transmitting CW emissions (emission designator 150HA1A), the carrier frequency is
    set to the center frequency.64

64 We adopt a modified instruction for PSK31 channel use to correct an error introduced in the NPRM. To have a
    PSK31 signal transmitted on the center frequency, the control operator should not set the carrier frequency to the
    center frequency but should instead set the carrier frequency 1.5 kHz below the center frequency (i.e., the same as for
    phone and data emissions). See, e.g., “The BUXCOMM Digital Handbook,” by Glynn E. “Buck” Rogers Sr., at 11
    (available at http://www.buxcomm.com/pdfzips/2011-BUXCOMM_Digital-handbook.pdf)

UNITED STATES (US) FOOTNOTES
    US23 In the band 5330.5-5406.4 kHz (60 m band), the assigned frequencies 5332, 5348, 5358.5,
    5373, and 5405 kHz are allocated to the amateur service on a secondary basis. Amateur service use of the
    60 m band frequencies is restricted to a maximum effective radiated power of 100 W PEP and to the
    following emission types and designators: phone (2K80J3E), data (2K80J2D), RTTY (60H0J2B), and
    CW (150HA1A). Amateur operators using the data and RTTY emissions must exercise care to limit the
    length of transmissions so as to avoid causing harmful interference to Federal stations.

§ 97.303 Frequency sharing requirements.
    (h) 60 m band: (1) In the 5330.5-5406.4 kHz band (60 m band), amateur stations may transmit only
    on the five center frequencies specified in the table below. In order to meet this requirement, control
    operators of stations transmitting phone, data, and RTTY emissions (emission designators 2K80J3E,
    2K80J2D, and 60H0J2B, respectively) may set the carrier frequency 1.5 kHz below the center frequency
    as specified in the table below. For CW emissions (emission designator 150HA1A), the carrier frequency
    is set to the center frequency. Amateur operators shall ensure that their emissions do not occupy more
    than 2.8 kHz centered on each of these center frequencies.
    60 M BAND FREQUENCIES (KHZ)
    Carrier Center
    5330.5 5332.0
    5346.5 5348.0
    5357.0 5358.5
    5371.5 5373.0
    5403.5 5405.0

60 M BAND EMISSION REQUIREMENTS
    Emission type Emission designator Restricted to:
    Phone ……… 2K80J3E …………... Upper sideband transmissions (USB)
    Data ………... 2K80J2D …………... USB (for example, PACTOR-III)
    RTTY….…… 60H0J2B …………... USB (for example, PSK31)
    CW ……........ 150HA1A ………….. Morse telegraphy by means of on-off keying
    (ii) The following requirements also apply:
    (A) When transmitting the phone, RTTY, and data emissions, the suppressed carrier frequency may be
    set as specified in § 97.303(h).
    (B) The control operator of a station transmitting data or RTTY emissions must exercise care to limit
    the length of transmission so as to avoid causing harmful interference to United States Government
    stations.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-11-171A1.pdf

Yes, Dan Henderson is still the go-to guy for regulatory answers.

Contact Us -- ARRL HQ Regulatory Staff
    Dan Henderson, N1ND

Tel: 860-594-0236
    E-mail: reginfo@arrl.org
    Fax: 860-594-0259

Administrator, ARRL Volunteer Counsel and Volunteer Consulting Engineer Programs.

Duties include:

General regulatory questions
    RFI regulatory information
    Antenna restrictions
    International operating

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    WU8Y, KY8D and KK5JY like this.
  4. KP4SX

He says: I have been licensed since 1970 and at times have done most things in this hobby... Since I work at this hobby all day long, I don't spend much of my free time pursuing amateur radio interests these days. I contest some, DX some, and try to stay in touch with as much of the hobby as possible.
    I'd prefer someone with a more active approach.

W0PV likes this.
  5. KK5JY

The problem is that he appears to be the contact at ARRL for such things. If nothing else, he might refer you to somebody else whose contact information isn't listed, such as one of the staff attorneys. If you want info from ARRL, you're probably going to have to ask their designated contacts.

You could also try talking to your division directors, but I strongly suspect you'll just end up being referred to Mr. Henderson.

Look at the bright side -- if you write to Newington, and they tell you the free-for-all on 5357 is totally legal, then you're done. :cool:

I have greatly limited my use of 5357 for FT8, in the interest of compliance with the letter of the rule. If I'm doing it for no reason, then I have lots of 60m operating to do. ;)

6. N1FM

KK5JY and W7UUU like this.
  7. KK5JY

The only problem with asking a VC is that client services provided are not free: http://www.arrl.org/VC-Description

The "volunteer" part has to do with their relationship to ARRL, not to clients.

The League does not expect a Volunteer Counsel to represent an amateur free of charge. When HQ makes referrals, the point is made that VCs make their living practicing law and amateurs should not expect free or reduced cost legal representation unless it is at the discretion of the VC. Volunteer Counsels are asked, however, to provide an initial consultation gratis so that the amateur may knowledgeably decide what further steps to take.

And there's currently no VC in @KP4SX's "state," according to that link. Even if there was, the opinion rendered would be a private attorney's opinion, and not that of the ARRL or any of its designated representatives or spokespersons.

WU8Y likes this.
  8. KP4SX

Thanks for the useless tip. PR is not listed. What do I enter as a Last Name?
    vc.jpg

I want to know what the ARRL has to say. Not some volunteer minion.

9. N1FM

In that case, I'd ask Dan Henderson first, and then Scot Stone at the FCC, second.

10. KK5JY

The name of an attorney, if you know one. It's a filter. You can search with it blank.

If you search "California," for example, you get a long list. The "name" lets you narrow it down.
    The only way to get that is to ask them.

WU8Y and (deleted member) like this.