ad: UR5CDX-1

Operating Hand (s)?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KJ7GFW, Jul 12, 2019.

?

Which Hand?

1. Right

2. Left

3. Either

4. Foot, duh

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ7GFW

KJ7GFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just curious which hand most of us Ops pound brass with?

I use either but favor the right hand.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

3. K3QP

K3QP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm right-handed, but my dad encouraged me to learn to send left-handed when I was a kid so I could write with my right-hand. It used to come in handy, but I type more now when I copy rather than write (I still send with key or paddles -left handed - with the exception of N1MM for contests).

N2AMM and W3JJW like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Being left-handed, I've pounded brass left-handed since my days as WN1MBK in the late 60s. When I graduated to an electronic keyer, I naturally wired it up for left-handed. All was well in my world until my NTS mentor suggested I learn to send right-handed, so my pencil could reside at the ready in my left hand.

I reluctantly learned to send right handed on the keyer paddles. And to this day, I can send proficiently either righty or lefty on the keyer paddles.

Many years later, I picked up a right-handed Vibroplex bug, and taught myself to use it.

However, to this day I cannot teach myself to pound brass right-handed. It's very odd.

5. KI7RS

KI7RS Ham Member QRZ Page

I send with my left hand, but I set it up my paddle as a right hander. Dits and dahs are technically backward, but I've lived in a righthanded world for so long I knew it would be easy to learn this way from the start.

W8ES likes this.
  6. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I learned by using my 'dominant hand (R). Now, too many years later to change now, I wish I'd learned with my left hand! Would'a been able to write/right handed then. Oh well...

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My serious answer: I can send with either hand on straight key or keyer. Bug? No

Dave
    W7UUU

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Straight key: left hand. Keyer/bug: right hand. That makes it easy to switch in mid-word. The kewl part is, my Morse instructor taught me to send PERFECT Morse w/ a straight key. So, when I switch, the other op can't tell the difference. Also, before I used a keyer, other ops sometimes asked me what kind of keyer I was using. :D

9. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Be Prepaired!
    Learn and practice using both hands...

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

10. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OK. You are now my hero. If I send you my straight key and return shipping, would you please bless my key??? But for right hand sending, please.

WR2E and WA7PRC like this.