ad: k1jek

Operating CW on computer with FlDigi, SignalLink USB and a IC756 Pro 3 or Kenwood TS-950?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by VE3GZB, Mar 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried learning CW but my tinnitus is aggravated by the beeping tones until it's just one long annoying ringing sensation. So I figured I'd try the set up listed in the title there.

I have no idea what FlDigi thinks it's doing. It's "tuned" onto the clearly audible signal and yet it's producing absolute gibberish on the decoded screen.

I tried doing the same thing using a Kenwood TS-950 and got the same results.

I can use the hardware setup successfully and reliably for both radios while running WSPR and FT8 with WSJT-X so I'm certain it's not a hardware issue.

Is there a better bit of FREE CW communications software out there which will run on Windows 10, work with a SignalLink box to whatever radio? I'm not sure FlDigi is able to handle it judging by the results.

73s, VE3GZB

2. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The only CW decoder I have found to work reliably is CW Skimmer. It works far better than FLDIGI and also has some very nice features to help working DX running split, and for contesting.

VE3GZB likes this.
  3. VE3GZB

Thanks!

4. VE3GZB

How do I type with this program to also send CW?

5. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You don't, it is a decoder and does that exceptionally well along with showing the callsigns of any other CW streams in the passband. But it will integrate with contesting loggers like N1MM logger where you can define contesting macros and assign that to function keys. But it's cat control engine is Omnirig so it is easy to sync it and make it play nice with other radio SW running concurrently. You could still use FLDigi to send. If your interest is contesting or just working dx peditions/pileups, all you need are 4-6 CW memory keyer macros anyway.

VE3GZB likes this.
  6. VE3GZB

I don't use any contesting software or anything like that. I don't use anything like HRD or Omnirig. I simply like to chase DX and enjoy the excitement of a real-time RF connection over such amazing distances. I like to respond to someone far away calling "CQ DX" and "QRZ".

I've done so on sideband, I do so on FT8 with some interesting results as far as Japan, New Zealand and South Africa with my lousy under-height stealth wire antenna and 100 watts.

Now I'd like to try with CW and I hope the computer will act as an intermediary for me. My setup doesn't permit CAT control through the SignalLink USB boxes as they do not interface with CAT signals, they're only for the analog path between the radio and the computer.

I do have a newer radio - an FTdx101D - but there seems to be some lag in development between the software (FLDIGI, WSJT-X) and any built-in library within the software which is used to control the newer radio.

I previously owned an IC7300 and never experienced any control issues whatsoever. The built-in control along with a freely downloadable XML file permitted flawless control within FLDIGI. WSJT-X also functioned flawlessly with the IC7300.

But there were other issues here in my area specifically to do with the truly awful QRN here which would frequently overload the front-end of the IC7300 even with attenuation activated, so I sold the IC7300 radio and got the newer Yaesu which seems far better able to handle the QRN.

Consequently now with the newer Yaesu radio I find there are problems with keeping a reliable link and reliable control over the newer radio. I do have the Yaesu USB drivers installed but it seems to be a bit flaky.

So for phone I use the Yaesu and for digital purposes I use the much older radios with the SignalLink USB boxes and this has proven to be a very reliable though slightly less sophisticated setup.

So my question then becomes:

Will CW Skimmer and FLDigi both run at the same time while simultaneously interfacing over a single USB cable to the SignalLink USB box?
    Or will there be any conflict between these two bits of software trying to both use the analog signals from the radio?

73s

7. VE3GZB

I tried CW Skimmer just now. It will not interface to either the SignalLink USB box nor to the FTdx101D.

No matter which audio port settings I try CW Skimmer doesn't acknowledge any audio from either radio interface even when I can clearly hear a strong CW signal beeping away in the speaker.

73s

8. VE3GZB

I updated my version of FLDIGI and things seem to be working better. My previous version wasn't ancient but it looks like there were a few updates to functionality which helped.

73s

9. K2QB

K2QB Ham Members QRZ Page

You can definitely type and send CW using Fldigi….I do!

Jim K2QB

10. VE3GZB

Yes, I've been trying - but I encountered reliability issues between FLDIGI and either my older radio with the SignalLink USB interface or with the newer Yaesu radio.

Finding an update for FLDIGI has helped significantly today, though it's still not quite right it's an improvement.

73s