ad: Amateur-1

Operating AM on 20 Meters

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KC8YLT, Mar 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KC8YLT

KC8YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone here in the forum still operate AM on the upper end of 20 meters? (14.286) What are your thoughts about this? I know there is AM activity on 40, 75 and 160. Thanks, Carl.

N6YW likes this.
  2. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

On occasion when band conditions permit. I also operate on or about 14.330. Usually when 15 is open there is
    AM activity there as well.

KC8YLT and WA3VJB like this.
  3. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I've heard that 14.330 has replaced 14.286 as a place where you can anticipate AM QSOs.
    Up on 15m the most likely place for AM in my monitoring experience is around 21.425 Mc

AF6LJ, KC8YLT and N6YW like this.
  4. KC8YLT

KC8YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info guys. I have never operated AM on HF and I want to once I get all of my gear set up.

N6YW and AF6LJ like this.
  5. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are still AM'ers operating from 14.286 to 14.330 MHz.

On 15m, when open, 21.300 to 21.425 MHz are the usual watering holes.

Phil

AF6LJ likes this.
  6. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Awesome!
    I hope to hear you on the bands soon!

AF6LJ and KC8YLT like this.
  7. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like there is a constant flow of people trying AM. I have heard a lot of it lately.
    Maybe we are moving past the 'SSB sucks, CW is the only good mode, AM is a hog and for CB operators' era?
    You would think people would want to try something different....

KC8YLT and AF6LJ like this.
  8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Am Sounds really good when you have a receiver that has a bit of bandwidth. :)

KD2BRM and KC8YLT like this.
  9. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it sounds very good even when its quite narrow, as long as its not muffled sounding.
    Some ssb sounds fine if you tune it in JUST right and can turn the RF gain way down to kill the noise.

KC8YLT and AF6LJ like this.
  10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Another mode that has the potential to sound good is VHF ham FM. The bandwidth is too much for HF though. Unfortunately it sounds almost like telephone audio because VHF ham FM rigs have no audio below around 300 cps in order to transmit so called sub-audible tones, the ham rig audio sections suck, and everyone uses crappy hand held mics. but back to 20 m. AM....

KC8YLT likes this.