ad: k1jek

Operating 6 Meters

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WB0MPB, Mar 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it was smokin for some and fogged in for others. I was able to make it from my QTH near Portland, OR to Tampa, FL on JT65 but had trouble hitting anyone in between other than a couple of contacts in NM and AZ. At least I did find out my 6 meter yagi seems to shoot to the right a bit with the monitoring stations that were popping all over the place. That's what I was more interested in, seeing what monitoring stations I was showing up on as I turned my yagi back and forth.

So far, 6 meters has been better than last year in the PNW, but it's still no where near as good here as what the rest of the country sees. Although I won't spend the money on a 6 meter antenna with more elements I have been considering combining my 4 element yagi with a 3 element one and making a 7 element antenna. I keep thinking though that as soon as I do, the E skip will be done for the summer. I just know it will. :D

Mike

2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

KJ4TX, most short yagis can be lengthened to improve the gain a bit, but even better, increase the F/B ratio greatly. Look up the A50 5s (Cushcraft) antenna lengthening article.
    A good 7 element 6 meter yagi should be 40ish feet for optimum performance.

Ed

3. KJ4TX

Ha! 40ish feet is about 23ish feet longer than I'd want to put on the mast and chimney mount I have my current 4 element 6 meter and 9 element 2 meter yagis on. :D I did find an article that shows a 7 element yagi that uses a 17' long boom. I have a number of aluminum poles that are 7' or so long that I could use as well. I also have a Mosley TA-33 that I'm not using that I could probably use it's boom if I wanted to. I wouldn't be able to use the Channel Master rotator I'm using now though, which has surprisingly done well the last 2.5 years I've used it (which is about 2 years longer than I thought it would).

I'm doing some research to see what is easy to put together with what I have and if the 6 meter openings stick around I may put something up for June. But I have to warn you guys, enjoy it while you can because as soon as I put up a bigger antenna it's all going to go away. ;)

Mike

4. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You would probably be better off with 4-5 elements at 17'.

Ed

5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yesterday I worked all kinds of stations into the south east and one in Utah. I was getting signal reports from 55 to 59 and was receiving signals from 55 to 59 +10. I called first so I guess it was my frequency cause when I finished with one contact I would have a pile up calling me. That was fun. Kind of hard to pick them out with so many calling me. Because of where of where I live, in a rental and small lot all I have up is a 40 meter dipole and that is what I use for 40 through 6 meters but it sure did a superb job on 6 meters for me. I did not need anything more then the dipole yesterday. Could not have handled anymore calls coming in. It sure was a lot of fun.

John, WB0MPB

KC3BZJ likes this.
  6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

7. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

Huge band opening in Europe right now on Six. Hopefully makes it's way to the States later.

8. WB0MPB

That's a big one. Pull it over here!!
    John, WB0MPB

9. WB0MPB

You guys out west you better get on 6 meters and make some contacts real quick. It is now 0237 UTC. It has moved west.

John, WB0MPB

10. KJ4TX

I was on there and made a number of JT65 contacts out to 1000 miles. I saw on my scope that 50.125 and surrounding area was hopping so there must have been voice and I assume CW operators working as well. I saw it start to open when WSPR monitoring stations started popping up.

I'm finding that a more accurate indication of openings than the VHF Propagation web site that I had been monitoring. DXMaps is still the best indicator of points A and B and the frequencies people are using.

Mike