ad: AlphaRF-1

Operating 6 Meters

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WB0MPB, Mar 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

That's how I feel right now!

I'm running a 706mkll and I'm showing a 2:1 swr bandwidth of THREE mhz. I made this ∆ loop using 10 awg thhn left over from my other projects, 75 ohm tv lead for a matching section/balun, about 20' rg8x (yeah, I know) feed line hanging literally under 10 feet off the ground from the wife's plant hanging point on the eave AND on a horizontal plane to boot. All the wrong things but receive audio is loud with the normal s-7/9 power line crap I get at this locality. I used the GW7AAV plans and I think I followed it pretty close. I suppose the contest will be the proof of concept I'm looking for but it sure would be nice to know it works ahead of time, that's all.

Edit/add - I wish webSDR had a receiver over here that heard 6 meters

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. KJ6NWU

KJ6NWU Ham Member QRZ Page

6 Meters is called "the magic band" because when you hear someone on it, you think it's a trick.
    Calling CQ on 6 Meters is like prayer - you don't really expect to hear a voice answer you.

WZ7U likes this.
  3. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But I do expect an answer when I pray.

KJ6NWU and WZ7U like this.
  4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

When I hear someone kerchunking the repeaters, I turn the radio off.

5. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I meant kerchunking the repeater to see if it is even alive. Then call for anyone out there, wait a few then move along. I find the 706MKIIG very confusing to use on FM repeaters

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but it is STILL required to identify. I can't understand why someone can "kerchunk" a repeater, and not ID. It only takes an extra second or two. (Poor Amateur practice, and technically illegal. ( NO, not "technically." It's illegal to not ID, plain and simple.)

7. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I meant doing it right... setting up the tone and keying it and then saying my callsign. It won't kerchunk unless I do the tone right, what is easy for me to get wrong on the 706 as I'm finding out, and a bunch of the repeater guides list old repeaters here that are long gone.

I've never been able to successfully do the auto-tone search feature on the 706, but don't use FM hardly at all so I've never spent hours trying. I have read the manual over and over and started thinking it was my antenna. Last time I did 2m on it I couldn't remember how I got the tones to work on 2 known repeaters, and turned out the club took the both down for maintenance :confused:

8. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I put up an M2 Square Loop a week ago at about 25 feet. Sacrificed a Cushcraft MA 5? lightweight vertical HF antenna that I have found to be useless, as a support for it. For a week all I heard was two local beacons and birdies. Ho hum. Maybe a waste. Then yesterday, 4-28, there was a band opening from here into the south. Worked stations as long as the E lasted. But it was a pipeline into the southeast and nothing else heard. Running 100 Watts here. Well I was amazed to work some kind of "DX" with that little loop. Today only heard one weak 4 station calling and he disappeared. So I am hoping that the promise that May/June is great for E holds out this year and I can put the rig to use. That is my introduction to 6 SSB. Back in the 70s I had a Utica and worked all over the west with the 12 Watts of AM that it provided. Hopefully I can do as well with this setup. A tower and beam is not in the cards though.

9. WA9SVD

When 6 Meters opens with Sporadic "E", you can use a piece of wet (salted) spaghetti as an antenna and make contacts.;)

10. WA9SVD