Operating 6 Meters

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WB0MPB, Mar 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You just proved my point! You had a very tiny E-skip patch that covered your area. Now if the guys running 500+ watts were rag chewing 100 miles away would you have been able to pick out that weak signal?

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

AAT:

Probably! With a low dipole he would almost certainly not have heard the stations 100-miles away!

Glen, K9STH

3. KM4BLG

KM4BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a 6m radio but no antenna. 6m was wide open. I put up a 6m antenna and the band died. I think I killed it...

K6CLS likes this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

6M 1962 & 2013
    When I got on 6M the first time, all the activity was on AM and centered at 50.400 !
    The latest time I got back on 6M, I was QRP, SSB & CW, Then the 6M band was the only one where I was GLAD there was a contest. Otherwise there was nobody to talk to.

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

JD:

The activity, on all of the bands from 50 MHz upwards, except for FM, definitely increases exponentially during contests.

Glen, K9STH

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in "ye olde daze," at least in Chicago and environs, 50.4 MHz was the typical mobile and general calling frequency, but that was AM. Slowly, as more and more AM operators migrated (some kicking and screaming) to SSB, the watering holes changed, until the band plans of today. 50.000-50.100 MHZ is CW only (No, no data, etc) by FCC rule. 50.100-50,250 MHz is reserved, (now, by band plan not FCC rule) for intercontinental contacts, meaning outside the CONUS at least, or what's known as "stateside." KHx, ALx and a few other prefixes are also considered DX for the definition) 50.125 MHz is the SSB calling frequencies, and when the band is open, typical SSB communications can easily occur above 50.200 MHz. When the band is not active, most operators may listen # 50.125 MHz, but unless someone occasionally calls "CQ" on the calling frequency, there may be openings that go unrecognized. A few years one afternoon when I just was casually monitoring 6 Meters when I happened to be listening, I worked a Costa Rican amateur in the afternoon. Not strong, but well enough to work the station with my low dipole. For half an hour afterwards, he was calling "CQ" and got no other takers. So the band can provide many surprises.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in my day a long long time ago the 6 meter band was only 5 meters long. But through evolution it evolved into 6 meters long!!

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought you'd run away after telling that whopper...

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeez Zachary, good job dude. Now you have to climb the tower and fix the band.

I finished a delta loop for 6 this afternoon and it's hanging pretty low right now. I want to use it during 7qp may 7 but while the swr curve seems reasonable, my bandwidth with it seems excessive. I may have just a great dummy load but no way to really know for sure. My testing points are limited since I'm using the truck as a power supply right now. Gotta noodle this out some more.

All youze guys talking up how long you've been a ham and ole Zach there was born the year I finally got my ticket.....made me feel ham old in a way. Weird.

I'm putting 6 on my bucket list. Include me in on the 6 noob list too.

KM4BLG likes this.
  10. KM4BLG

KM4BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ironic thing is...I still don't know if the radio works or not...

KJ6NWU likes this.