Operating 6 Meters

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WB0MPB, Mar 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have observed this exact thing playout many times over the years. All the while those who were rag chewing on 50.125 no idea whatsoever that they were stomping on someone else's chance to make a Q.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If the band's open, you don't need to use .125. That's silly.

3. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

These were the "micro" openings that W0AAT describes, basically the ones where the DX signal may only be workable for a few minutes at a time. So if someone is rag chewing and goes on for 3 or 4 minutes before turning it back over, they can easily cover one of those mico opening paths in a single transmission. And they would have no idea at all that they had done so.

And yes, if the band is open in a big way with lots of signals on the band for 10's of minutes or more, then I pretty much ignore 50.125 completely. Nothing but QRM there.

4. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I worked New Zealand on 6m the opening lasted 45 seconds and was gone...

5. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeez, there seem to be a few local guys here in the Portland area that are real jackholes about stuff like that. My dad and I got blasted by two of them on 60m one day--channel was completely open and we got lit up for 'using it'. And then were berated for 20+ minutes all throughout his conversation while he basically CB'ed with another jackhole--no callsigns of course.

The Portland area has a couple of 6m repeaters but the ICOM 7200 doesn't do FM. The 706 does, and I'd kerchunk the repeaters, tuned around never heard anything. I've never seen a 6m digital signal yet. I hear tons of beacons though. I was having to use an end-fed as the 6m antenna but it did seem to work at least for local stuff--but per usual, no one there on FM or anything else I'd search.

I'm moving into an apartment until we build a place up in Ridgefield--which could take 8-10 months depending on which one we want and when we sell. I think 2/440/6 and maybe 10 are about all I'll be able to do for the time being. But things are in boxes at the moment, so in a few weeks I'll probably build a loop for 6m and do it indoors. Would love to attempt a QSO though.

6. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are some good guys in the area though and for the most part, they out number the ones that I sure don't want to talk to. I made my first 6 meter contact with a number of them from the 10 meter Tec net that met me on 6 meters so I could try out my radio and first 6 meter dipole I put up to try out 6 meters. That's why I pretty much ignore any of the self printed card carrying band cops because we do have much better ones around.

It's funny, but of the beacons we do have in the area, I have rarely heard any of them. I don't know if the path is just not that good from my QTH or my antenna is death pointing towards any of them. I do have the Hillsboro Airport just North of me about a mile and I can hear the noise level go up on 6 and 2 meter SSB when I point that direction.

Sure, we shouldn't have a lot of problems connecting. We are probably just a little bit past line of site but unless the band is negative propagation or you live in a ground depression, I can get well into Washington at any given time and we should be able to connect. I almost daily get on 6 meters after work for a bit and send CQ's on JT65. I like to test out my digital connections before I start making contacts for the evening and since the chances of getting a reply are pretty slim, I use 6 meters to test my power and connections. Every once in awhile on the first or second contact, I'll lose rig control just as I start to send a CQ or a reply to a CQ, so testing lets me know if I need to power down everything and bring it up again.

Mike

7. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was open 3 times here last week. 1 aurora and 2 sporadic E that DXMaps alerted me to. Didn't here a thing on .125 so called CQ and made a quick contact then announced I was moving to .130 where I made several more contacts during all 3 openings. Went down to the CW portion and nothing, got on 50.190, called CQ and made several more contacts each opening. Working 6 meters reminds me of one of my favorite sayings: "Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it"

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not a matter of no-code vs. know code. IF you have even a rudimentary knowledge of the code, you can identify the LOCATION of a beacon, not just the fact that the band (or any band) is open somewhere.

And the domestic 6 Meter SSB calling frequency is normally 50.125 MHz; 50.100 MHz-50.124.999 MHz is considered the DX window, and is NOT (by "gentleman's agreement" and good Amateur practice) for normal state-side or local operation. There's NO reason to operate below 50.125 MHz if just looking for local or even stateside contacts; doing so will give you a reputation you do not wish to bear. So learn 6 Meters on your own, if you will. You have gotten good advice here. Google can be wrong.

BTW, in over 45+ years of operating 6 Meters, the ONLY time I've operated on 50.110 MHz was a contact from California to Hawai'i; that's considered DX on that band. Contact from CA to Vancouver Canada or Tijuana Mexico is NOT considered "International" DX.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. Several years ago, with 10 Watts and a simple low dipole, I was monitoring the notorious 50.125 MHz calling frequency at home, and heard a somewhat weak "QC. " I responded and worked a station in Costa Rica. When we were finished briefly exchanging pleasantries and signal reports, the fellow continued calling CQ for over half an hour, but got NO other takers, but I have the QSL card to prove the contact.. So where were all those that complain that using the calling frequency is wrong? Where were THEY when the band opened up?

10. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did make a typo in my post above, of course I was on 50.090 not 50.190.