Operate much?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Aug 23, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't say I have heard BTU but generally would be working a different group of ops. On the subject of bug keys have heard some strange timing on occasions.

Bugs seem to be ornery things.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

lol

You should help out those no code hams.

He was sending from the gun range.

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Notes on CW Oddities of late
    One of the oddities I hear lately is this ;
    I call a CQ ,
    No, not in a contest or 'sprint' or a Mountaintop, rare Island or Lighthouse activation or county fair special event...Just a few CQs and my call and "K",
    I hear a callsign and S I L E N C E ! :eek: Not the expected repeat of my call DE his call and a K or AR...Just a single callsign hanging out there and nothing else...
    Is this guy calling me ? Is he calling some DX station off a KHz from the freq I thought was not in use (I call QRL?, as in the current fashion to do, to assure I had the freq) !
    I am never sure what to do next. I could repeat a short CQ, Maybe just Go away ! I might even call the guy back and send "QRZ?", but I don't think anyone new knows what "QRZ" is for .o_O

I know a lot of the old ham abbreviations from our younger days are now being displaced by what I believe are "text messaging" ones like that "BTU and "OMG" :D
    73 from the OM and C.U.L.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    VK2WP likes this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to do this to go from receive to transmit in 1962:
    turn on VFO from standby to make sure I was still on freq, turn down the volume and RF gain on the receiver, switch the knife switch for the antenna from the receiver to the transmitter, turn on the B+ to the transmitter, start sending. !
    To return to receive; shut off the B+ to the transmitter , turn VFO to standby , slap knifeswitch for the antenna from transmitter back to receiver, turn up the volume and RF gain on the receiver, start tuning bandspread to find the other guy in case he drifted off my freq.
    It was FUN :D

W5BIB likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hear this, too.

I just send "?" or the callsign I just heard with "?"

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't go through quite that much, but did have a separate homebrew xtal controlled TX, an old and not very good Hallicrafters RX, homebrew folded dipole, and hardware store knife T/R switch.

Sometimes I'd transmit without throwing the switch, so of course I was transmitting into basically nothing but the 6V6 didn't seem to care much. After a long time it would glow red. Or sometimes I'd leave it in TX position which meant I was receiving with basically nothing for an antenna, but I'd still hear strong signals anyway.

It was indeed fun.

W8ZNX likes this.
  7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

It was all about F U N back then > :D

W8ZNX likes this.
  8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

It still is... just different fun now. :)

9. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have had the same thing happen on quite a few occasions and its a pain in the neck. Often after calling cq for quite a long time and probably not paying much attention then out of the blue comes this one callsign.

So have to send QRZ? K and wait for the caller to re identify.

At least some callers do the courtesy of giving their call two or three times so as to get a better chance of being heard.

10. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's all do ourselves a favor... if any of you ever hear me calling CQ, don't answer me. Tnx es BTU.