Operate as a rover for others--does it count for their grids?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K3RW, Sep 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K3RW

K3RW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just curious as I am getting into SOTA, Grid Hunting, and County Hunting...

SOTA rules make sense to me, mostly. But grids and counties are a bit more confusing to me.

More than a few of the awards I've seen as a grid hunter want me to operate within XX miles from my home station. If I go there and operate, I'll be well outside my home station radius so it won't count for me. But if I go to a rare grid or county that people are needing, will it count for someone else? I'm not sure if operating portable or mobile changes anything there.

Examples: I am in grid CN85, but I drive to DN08 and operate there. Or, I'm in grid CN85 but I get on a boat and go out 100 miles offshore and I'm in a grid in the ocean. Or, a county hunter needs Pend Oreille County in WA, but my home station is in Clark County.

Will these count as the grid I'm in for another OP?

2. KF6A

KF6A Ham Member QRZ Page

Each award has its own rules so it's not a simple yes or no answer. There are too many rules to type out so you'll have to go to whoever is sponsoring the award and find out specifics.

Generally speaking, where you are transmitting from should count for various awards for other people. So yes, if you travel to a location and operate from that grid/county/state/dxcc, it does count for other people. You may not be able to use those QSO's for awards from your home location because it may be too far away, but those QSO's should count for other people's awards. Just make sure you record which state/grid/county/etc that you were in when you logged them for their awards.

Good luck and have fun.

K3RW likes this.
  3. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For VUCC the grid YOU operate from counts for the station working you for their award but the grids you work will not count for your VUCC because they are not from your home station.

K3RW likes this.
  4. K3RW

Great! I hoped I could help people out. Next year I'm hoping to go way offshore and work maritime mobile, and the family has always wanted to explore the hinterlands of the Pacific NW. It will be fun to 'be the DX'.

5. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not entirely correct.

VUCC rules allow for multiple locations to be used toward some VUCC awards (bands from 50 to 1296 MHz, plus the satellite VUCC award), if the distances between those locations are within 200km (approximately 124 miles). This usually works out to being a circle 200km in diameter, and - depending on where your circle is located - could include parts of several different grids. I take advantage of this for my satellite operating, where the center of my 200km circle for satellite VUCC is on the DM33/DM43 grid boundary (112 degrees West longitude) in Phoenix. I can operate from parts of those two grids and 4 others (DM32, DM34, DM42, DM44), yet those locations are all within 200km of each other, and I can use those QSOs for my own VUCC.

When I operate away from Phoenix and central Arizona generally, those QSOs don't help my Phoenix-based satellite VUCC award, but could be the basis for a separate satellite VUCC award for that area. For example, trips to Dayton for the Hamvention over the past several years have gotten me about halfway to a satellite VUCC award in that area. Logbook of the World allows you define a new VUCC award account with a new ruleset to cover locations that would fall within the 200km limit in another area.

For SHF VUCC awards, the distance limitation is a single location, defined as being within a 300-meter diameter circle.

73!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    K3RW and W5PFG like this.
  6. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

K3RW likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are just operating as a station and not part of any group, you can operate from wherever you want and every time you're in a new grid, you're a new contact for everybody you work.

It's possible to operate from more than ten grids in one weekend pretty easily if you like to drive -- and can find anyone to work.:)

K3RW likes this.
  8. K3RW

This is absolutely great! Thanks for that!

So if I read it correctly, I still need the same number of grids as VUCC but I can drive to them and work people from 'wherever'?

It would be a great way to get some of the 70cm ATV gear back on the air and make some simplex QSOs.

9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the idea is the rover can claim VUCCr by working the same fixed station from the rover sites.

All of my 10ghz and 5760mhz contacts were as a rover to W3kwh, so I can honestly claim a handful of grids worked.

I liked the complete absence of HF style "pileups" on 2m and above. Without fail, every operator I ran across was more than happy to help someone else make a contact with a third station.

Lots and lots of "turn yer beam a bit more and call Bob again" kind of stuff.

Rege

K3RW likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VHF-UHF-SHF contesters are very considerate and do this all the time.

On the higher bands, QSB can be so severe that a signal can be in the noise and then peak to S9+ all inside of a few minutes, and everybody's used to that also...so they will encourage you to "keep trying" until you find a peak.

I was a "rover" in the 2010 January VHF SS and had 10 bands on board, 50 MHz through 10.3 GHz and about 11 PM there was a duct (pretty late at night for this) that formed across the San Joaquin Valley and raised impossibly weak signals to almost meter-pinning signals all inside of five minutes -- but the higher in frequency you went, the better the duct worked. At 50-144 MHz, it didn't work at all. At 222 MHz, it just "started" to work, but sigs were weak; better on 432, and then better still on 902 and up at 10.3 GHz the same stations were "full scale," and sounded like they were next to me, although they were really >100 miles away and nobody was on a hilltop. It's flat terrain in the valley.

We went "back down" the bands from 10 GHz to 50 MHz to give it another try, but the duct just didn't work much below 70cm, and at 6m it was nonexistent. 6m signals were too weak to copy (everybody running low power with portable antennas on their vehicle roofs), 2m almost too weak...but 70cm pretty strong and above 1.2 GHz, very strong.

VHF+ can be cool that way.

K3RW likes this.