ad: SteppIR-1

Open Wire Line

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by W2NBC, Sep 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to be careful no matter what you use.
    I had a temporary run of W7FG 16awg OWL that came away from one of it's supports and got to within 2" of a pine knot in a 6X6 support under my river house. During an old buzzard transmission, I kept noticing my Antenna Current changing on one side of my LCT so I would adjust it to compensate while I was talking. When I was finishing the transmission, I made the comment I was going to go inspect the antenna system due to the weirdness I was seeing on the meter. Good thing, the 6X6 was on fire and I had to put it out. From what I can tell, the voltage jumped a 2" gap from the OWL to the Pine Knot to ground potential, then must have held a sustained arc burning up the end of the melted wire until I unkeyed.

I build all of my own crappy feedline now.

Smokin.jpg

Toasty.jpg

KA4KOE, AG5CK and W2VW like this.
  2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Got the Tee shirt myself.

3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Obviously not the antenna builder's fault.

4. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

so we learn that 1. wood has a fire rating 2. enough plasma can vaporize copper 40 amp 600volt insulated line into copper balls o fire, was it an HOOOOOLA that opened it up,my hats off to you you are one of the few that make it to the scorched PNW

5. WA3QGD

so we learn that 1. wood has a fire rating 2. enough plasma can vaporize copper 40 amp 600volt insulated line into copper balls o fire, was it an HOOOOOLA that opened it up,my hats off to you you are one of the few that make it to the scorched PNW

6. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Good stuff.

7. WA3QGD

Notice that RF Plasma is not deterred by such leaky things as insulation,the leakage path is evidenced at the Pinch point of spreader attachment,bet if you were a little higher in frequitude one might be able to weld Aluminum,so per nec above 600 volts AC 60 cycle 18 feet of ground clearence minimum.

8. W2NBC

W2NBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well this has been an interesting thread.. To summarize some of the highlights:

For those wanting to roll your own OWL-

Ready cut spreader insulator sources:
    The above fence insulators can be mounted with cable ties or as in this method:

Wire "clips" as spreaders:
    For those looking for commercial "ready made" OWL:

Many good suggestions regarding insulator material and the use of the readily available 450 ohm "window line". Balanced antenna systems aren't for everyone, but the performance with a single center-fed dipole over the HF spectrum can't be beat with an efficient and stout balanced antenna tuner and well constructed OWL.

KD2ACO likes this.
  9. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Yea and Amen.

AD5HR likes this.