ad: MyersEng-1

Only 24 hours to work the special Y8 call signs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Only 24 hours to work the special Y8 call signs

The ex-DDR (East German) call-sign group from Y81A through Y89U, not used for 28 years has been issued especially for the WRTC Championship in Wittenberg, Germany.

BUT .... These call signs will ONLY be on the air for the 24 hours of the WRTC / IARU HF contest - after that these call signs may never appear on the air again - or perhaps only in another 28 years?

All stations are built and all competitors out on their sites waiting patiently to be able to use these very special call-signs from 1200 UTC on Saturday 14th. July.

The stations will be active on CW & SSB on all contest bands from 80m through 10m. Not only is this the ONLY opportunity to work these call signs, there's also a range of awards available for working the WRTC stations.

Full award details, live streams, on-line scoreboard and a daily news report is available from the website at www.wrtc2018.de.

Ed DD5LP / G8GLM / VK2JI

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2018/july/only-24-hours-to-work-the-special-y8-call-signs.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oops! QRZ News:Yesterday's news today!

3. MI0GTA

MI0GTA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2 EI op's I know of have worked them all... I worked 5 myself, Nice to get the rare call in the log book.

4. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked two but they were far and few between at this end...

5. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked REAL Y8's as a novice on 15 meter CW from 1985 until "the end." Great to flip back through some paper logs and reminisce. But, still glad to work the DL's. Great folks!