ad: vanity

Online course

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI7HFH, May 20, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Doing WHAT exactly?

Dave
    W7UUU

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing particularly new about that,.. you could also "lap" the crystal in jewelers rouge to change the freq.

3. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Or better yet, teach him how to repair/mod it and he will NEVER EVER need to buy a newer, hypster, fancier one (maybe).

4. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that's a little silly.

You might as well predict that we'll have computers to send morse code for us with fixed dits and dahs.

PU2OZT likes this.
  5. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio, like other hobbies, is what you make of it. I am not a dot com billionaire or a captain of industry, nor do I spend a huge amount of money on my station. During the last 33 years since I got my first license, I've purchased two new transceivers and two new amps. I don't have a tower or a big beam antenna. I use wire antennas that I make out of scrap US Army communications wire.

So, just doing the old fashioned, back of the envelope calculations, lets say that I spent roughly $10,000 in radio gear over the last 33 years. Averaging that out gives me about $0.83 per day spent on my hobby over the decades. That is actually going to be a much smaller number because I've been generous with the $10k number. The actual number is somewhere between $8k - $10k spread over 33 years.

If had been more frugal and only purchased used equipment, that calculation would have resulted in a much, much lower number.

It's just like anything else in life: there's always going to be another person with a bigger car, boat, RV, or whatever than you, so why waste time envying the other fellow's hobby expenses? It's great that you found your niche, please don't denigrate my niche simply because its different than yours.

But you knew that already, right?

KE0GXN likes this.
  6. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly!

The only things I've bought new were a FT227R in the late 1970s, an FT290R in the '80s, a power supply in 2006, some cheap car speaker wire to make a dipole, a base for a secondhand Terlin Outbacker, & a little Quansheng 2m handheld radio (HT).

Everything else was secondhand, apart from conumables like solder, connectors & the like.
    I've still had a lot of fun out of ham radio.

The guys with the fancy radios & big antennas make it easier for me to work them!

7. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HF can get expensive...if you let it. I have had an entry level radio, wire antennas and no amps the entire time I have been licensed and have had a blast making contacts.

Would I like to have towers, beams, amps and the most expensive rig money can buy, hell yes, but I found that with some patience and attention to detail I can get my humble station to make the trips and believe me, if I can anyone can, as I have zero electronics background or expertise other than what I studied and learned to get my tickets.

And I am still learning.

8. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why assume that this is necessarily a bad thing? Ham radio is not for everyone. If someone can't gin up enough interest in the hobby to pass a simple test, then they should probably find something else that holds more interest for them.

PU2OZT, KU4X, WS4JM and 2 others like this.