ad: AlphaRF-1

Online course

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI7HFH, May 20, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KI7HFH

KI7HFH Ham Member QRZ Page

With the introduction of a technician license becoming available through an online course, how long before we see the requirements disappear for those frequencies and radios sold that are only capable of sending and receiving in non programmable channels? Much like C/B radios are. It seems that it may be a good way to get people interested in amateur radio if they can just buy it and start using it.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They can "buy it and just start using it" on CB already. No reason to bring amateur radio down to that level. :(

W7UUU, WA9SVD, W0FS and 4 others like this.
  3. KI7HFH

But it would increase interest and grow the community?

K8BZ likes this.
  4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The only thing that grows for the sake of growth is a cancer. And a government. Both the same.

PU2OZT, N1DQQ, KO4DNI and 12 others like this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Just what Amateur radio needs,............... a radio with preset frequencies for CW on 80 meters.................... sigh

FWIW.............. Just about any HF rig has memories presets that can be programmed to your favorite HF "channel".

KI5WW, PU2OZT and K8BZ like this.
  6. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

If they are too dumb to program a few memories then CB, MURS, GMRS, and FRS await them. I also don't get the online test reference, if I can past a test in one spot or drive an hour and pass it there I think my knowledge or lack thereof is about the same.

K8BZ, W5LEM, M0KBO and 1 other person like this.
  7. KI7HFH

Just seemed like a positive step to me. Alot of people would buy a radio and participate /communicate through repeaters if there wasn't a license they had to study for and pay to get. For most of us, it's not worth the hassle, owning a technician license and a 25 dollar baofeng hasnt really changed anyone's lives.

8. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

And grow it into the communications garbage pit that CB became, which we already have some of that on the ham bands. No thanks!

Bill - K5MIL

PU2OZT, W0FS, M0KBO and 2 others like this.
  9. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All this online hoopla has done, is brought out of the woodwork all the prepper (zombie apocalypse people) who have no interest in the actual hobby. All they want is a $25 HT in their Walking Dead backpack that will never be keyed until the horde shows up in their hood. :rolleyes:

As if it would even matter if you are licensed at that point. :confused:

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    PU2OZT, W7UUU, W0FS and 4 others like this.
  10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

How so?

K3XR likes this.