Ongoing eBay Scams For Baofeng HT's

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W0HJW, Apr 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG5SFT

KG5SFT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well i got taken for my money also. Im waiting on my refund from Ebay.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you are better off buying things like radios on Amazon.

The extra cost is worth the money and you really get what you pay for.

3. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really. People are getting old, used or incorrect items from Amazon or "fulfilled by Amazon" resellers.
    There is no guarantee that anything that comes from Amazon's warehouses is what you really ordered.

People are buying expensive items then they tell Amazon or the reseller the item isn't what they wanted and return it.
    The problem is they keep what they ordered and return something else in the box. Amazon doesn't check properly, they just restock it on the shelf and the next person who orders the same item gets something used, old, bad or totally different item.

4. KG4PCR

KG4PCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I got scammed on Amazon, it seems they are running the same scam. I have decided I am not buying anything not shipped from the USA.

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

That was good on eBay's part. My case involved an UV-82, not as cheap as some of the other cases here, but less than the regular price it was going for at the time. I was almost sure it was a scam, but relied on eBay's protection, and ordered one. Sure enough, the seller's account disappeared a couple of days later. I don't remember now if eBay refunded me the money on their own initiative, before I contacted them, or if it was the case where the reply, with a refund, was immediate upon opening a case, like it had already been programmed in the system, and triggered by my case opening message.

It's a good thing that eBay protect buyers from these scams and other problems. I noticed an increase in the number of orders not received in the past year or so. I rarely order anything higher than $10 these days, but it's still a pain.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

6. WB5THT

WB5THT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never received a used item from Amazon in all the years I have been a customer unless it was clearly flagged as such. If you don't want the product for whatever reason you can easily return it. The most out of pocket expense you would incur is shipping assuming you return it simply because you don't want it. Amazon is my go-to vendor for miscellaneous stuff.

KJ4VTH and WB0MPB like this.
  7. K2PH

K2PH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it's happened to me a couple of times. eBay refunded the payments fairly quickly. OTOH, I did score a brand new Baofeng GT-1 shipped for free from New Jersey and delivered in 2 days for $10.98. You never know.

8. N0SNP

N0SNP Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazon is absolutely awesome if you stick with buying new.

I gave up on their used "Warehouse Deals" a long time ago.

Everything used I received from them was either missing major accessories or defective. Their return folks clearly don't check for completeness or condition. They just throw it back on the shelf to resell.

The last used item I bought... a HDMI antenna... had its coax connector broken off and someone had taped it to the base.

Amazon made good on everything without issue including free return shipping... but it's worth paying a few bucks more to get the stuff new in box.

9. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Beware of Amazon's "reconditioned" products as well. I've purchased two and both died shortly after arriving but after the 30-day guarantee.

10. W4FJF

W4FJF Ham Member QRZ Page

I got scammed by ohbuybuybuy on eBay, a Baofeng BF-U1 for 14.95 free shipping. Radio advertised as VHF/UHF tri-power 8W. The radio turned out to be UHF only with no keyboard, no LCD screen, 5W only, no support from Baofeng, no CHIRP software support. The radio does work, but with no way to program, it is useless. DO NOT BUY THE Baofeng BF-U1 until CHIRP lists software support as there is no other way to program it. I am NOT happy with this scam. DON'T BUY even if it has several different colored cases or shapes. Once Chirp has the software, then it may be safe enough. Buy the BF-888, as CHIRP supports the radio.