Ongoing eBay Scams For Baofeng HT's

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W0HJW, Apr 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0HJW

W0HJW Ham Member QRZ Page

I just wanted to alert everyone that there are multiple (100+) scams going on right now on eBay for Baofeng UV-5R's and Baofeng BF-888 handi-talkies. These HT's are not expensive - the going price for a UV-5R is about $30-$40 and for the BF-888 is about $15.

There are multiple listings now for UV-5R's for $9.99 (some are even for TWO units for $9.99). There are also multiple listings now for BF-888's for under $5 (the best I found was TWO units for $3.73). Some showed a seller in China but most showed sellers in the U.S. with ZERO Seller Feedback and the seller was only an eBay member for a week or two. There were also some obviously hijacked inactive sellers that look legitimate but are not.

Since it is eBay I guess PayPal will be eating the cost because more than 500 buyers have already fallen for these scams. IF IT LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE - IT IS!!!

73, Harold W0HJW

WB5THT likes this.
  2. KK6RGN

KK6RGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I am one of those victims , I purchased 2 for 19 dollars .A few days later I checked the site and it was shut down.I didnt think about getting in touch with e-bay for a refund ??

Johnny
    KK6RGN

3. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

I fell for this last time, if you used paypal open a case with ebay and you'll get your money back. I do wonder how they scammers have managed to take over so may accounts. Since you may have been sucked in, I suggest you change your ebay and paypal passwords before the scammers use your account to offer $10 baofengs.

4. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

This ebay item number 152499403825 is a account hijack, click on the sellers id and read the bio of the original account holder.

5. KG5SFT

KG5SFT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I hope i didn't get ripped off. I bought 2 at $9.99 a piece. The site is still up. I haven't received them yet. Expected delivery is April 14th - May 17th. I will keep everyone updated if I get them or not. I won't hold my breath after reading this. I most likely have been taken.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You bought 2 whats? If from China the stuff I buy from there usually takes about a month and the tracking does not always show anything is happening.
    John, WB0MPB

7. KG5SFT

KG5SFT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WBOMPB that's true. I buy alot of stuff from China and there is no tracking number and it takes a while. Hopefully mine will arrive.

8. W0HJW

W0HJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just an update folks. It has been more than one month since I originally wrote this. I have posted fraudulent reports on almost 400 phony listings. The number of phony listings have decreased to one or two per day instead of dozens. There are AT LEAST 1000 hams who have been scammed by various "sellers". The accounts used are usually phony accounts set up for the purpose of "selling" 10 items and then disappearing and being relisted under a new "seller" or they are hijacked legitimate accounts - I've seen plenty of both. For example, right now eBay listing #152542597376 is an example of a hijacked seller - TWO Baofeng UV-5R's for C$10.99 (US$8.02) with free shipping from China? Really?

By now many buyers should have learned that they were scammed. Please report them on this QRZ thread and definitely open a dispute with Paypal. You will get your money back from Paypal but you have to initiate the process. Don't assume that it was "less than 10 bucks so I won't bother". This/these scammer(s) are making a lot of money $10 at a time and it is just "noise level" to eBay/Paypal.

9. W8HAX

W8HAX Ham Member QRZ Page

I fell for this a couple months ago. The seller looked legit but obviously the price was too good to be true.

The real difficult part of this is that the seller closed the account just a few hours after the purchase. When the seller's account is closed, there is literally no way to file a dispute online. You have to call eBay on the phone (what is this, the stone age?), wait on hold for a half-hour, and then explain to them what happened, hoping the whole time that the CS agent you talk to has any kind of clue. And it is very hard to find their customer service phone number. It's not on their web site, you literally have to google it. And hope that they haven't changed it yet again.

Basically, don't get suckered into eBay scams or you're gonna have a bad time.

10. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

well, not only did I get my money back but ebay, as a way of apologizing for not catching these crooks before the money changed hands, sent me a $5 credit. Maybe I can use that to buy a couple more Baofengs!