One "Terrorbyte" HD?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA9SVD, Feb 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

The more BYTES U have, the more BYTES you have to lose when it goes Belly up!

G4COE likes this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just checked and my late 2012 Mac Mini is only worth $150 for trade in, probably because they don't know that I doubled the RAM myself (can't do that on newer models). From Apple's previous history I'm expecting it to be obsoleted sometime in 2020 which is almost another two years. Not worth it to trade now for $150.

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Naaa, I back my machines up using a combination of SyncToy and Acronis for local file and image backups to my 18TB NAS server, and Backblaze and Amazon Glacier for offsite backups of files and photos. Photos are on both Backblaze and Glacier as they are irreplaceable, Glacier provides archival as they are unchanging.

Bigger drives just means more space to store backups! Log files are small, and trivial to protect.

4. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure are some big drives out there, I prefer smaller drives myself. Imagine such a drive with one or more partitions.... and it goes 'whoopsie', a lot of data sure is gonna go AWOL . With smaller drives you could 'categorize' them, a bit like having folders for example I do all my PCB cad on a separate drive, same with family photos etc.

Dave

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

In my job as Technologist at a college, I'm in charge of deciding what/which technologies we should purchase for our staff and faculty. What my superiors don't often understand is that you have to look at the human side of the equation when it comes to those purchases, hard drives included.

Case in point: My boss is a penny-pincher and nearly had a heart attack when I put in an order for a couple of new MacBook Pros with 1TB drives instead of the standard 512MB drives; each upgrade adds $360 to the price of an already expensive ($2,600) laptop computer. It went down something like this:

"Why are we paying an extra three-hundred sixty dollars for five hundred-twelve megabytes? We can buy a two terrabyte external drive from Costco for less then half that. They can carry around external drives and save us money."
    "Because external drives can be banged around, dropped, or mistreated any number of ways--better to pay more to keep the data inside a machine they'll hopefully treat well and carefully and hope to the tech gods they don't trash their drives."

Now, if we were talking about desktop computers where they don't go anywhere, then his argument would've been a valid one.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Different partitions allow for docs, photos, etc. to be stored separately, and searched faster than having to search a whole 1 GB at a time. It also allows a "backup" of individual partitions easier than backing up the whole drive. (E.g. I can just back up a docs partition (only) faster than if all files are on a single drive. If photos don't change for months, a month or two between backups are just as good as a backup of that partition made yesterday. It doesn't need to be backed up as the whole drive.)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  7. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page