ad: CARC-1

One "Terrorbyte" HD?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA9SVD, Feb 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, thanks for the "heads up (or is it heads down:?) about Partition Magic. (It seems I got a bundled copy with Internet Security just a year or two ago.) I'll have to do more research. the last thing I want to is trash a HD on a new Dell.

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

3. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Feeling sorry for yourself?
    According to doc (free) GParted is OK for Windows.
    Works fine on Linux.
    Partitions are not limited in size, but still "only" four primary and one extended.
    Try it, you MAY like it.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

upload_2019-1-10_20-20-55.jpeg

KP4SX likes this.
  5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

You can buy 5TB drives at Costco for under a hundred bucks, now. Unreal.

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably true. My "old" XP machine had a 160 GB hard drive, and less than half full. Then again, I don't download movies or music. YMMV.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds HORRIBLE. LOL

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember that the 2012 Macs (Air, Pro laptop, and I believe the Mini) are the oldest versions that can be updated to the Mohave OS. Planned obsolescence will probably contribute to 2012 machines approaching that magical land of "no longer supported by Mac". This is not necessarily a bad thing...I have some Band Mates that use iPad 2 machines for sharing musical files. They can still share files with iPad 3 and 4...but only with WiFi. If we were ever to arrive at a venue w/o local WiFi the iPad 2 is out of luck. Series 3 and 4 use WiFi, Bluetooth, or Apple Drop for sharing files.
    Technology marches onward. There are some great deals out there on older hardware as long as you don't need the latest technology.
    Me....I'm thinking a 2012 Mac is approaching trade in while it still has some value toward a new Mac. However, as Prof Irwin Corey was known to say...I would go with SSD and shun a TB drive. Since retiring my storage space needs have not been growing much and I don't expect them to during my lifetime. Back in 2012 I got a Mac Pro with 750GB thinking I would need it for music and photo storage. I still add music and photos but not nearly as much as I did a few years ago.
    And my word processor and spreadsheet file generation has slowed down also. Us old folks are getting rid of stuff...not amassing more!

N6HCM and N0TZU like this.
  10. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I'm at the point of trading in my 2012 Mac Mini for either a new one or an iMac proper; I can get up to $300 towards a new one ($200 for the Mini trade-in, $100 for educational discount...though my Mini's worth more than a standard issue one because it has a 1TB SSD.) I can't complain, though--nearly eight years of hard use and never a problem.

It's bad enough that Apple charges $200 to bump either machine up from 8GB to 16GB RAM, but $600+ to replace its stock drive with a 1TB SSD? That's just crazy. I've reviewed the teardown videos for both and although it's far easier to replace the drive in the Mini, I just may stick with the onboard drive for 5-6 years until there's enough of a performance difference to make me want to upgrade drives in the future, if need be--I don't do nearly the tech pubs, multimedia, and database work I used to do so I don't need a lot of horsepower to plow through that stuff anymore.