ad: GNOHF-1

One "Terrorbyte" HD?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA9SVD, Feb 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

640K should be enough for anyone! (B.G.)

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been around since an Apple /][ HD seemed HUUGE at 5 MB. TheIBM XT and clone's ST-225 drive, @ 20 MB seemed overkill, at a time when Billy Boy Gates said "nobody will EVER need more than 640 kBytes." DUH???
    Fast forward. I now have a machine with a single 1.0 TB drive. (My past computer had 160 and 100 GB drives, less than 60% full each.) I do not download and/or store music or movies, so a 1 TB drive is formidable. IF I could partition it into smaller chunks (and NO, not just create different volumes) I could better manage the drive, and defrag only certain partitions, rather than the whole drive in one swell foop. (Or is that a fell swoop? I dunno.:confused:). Naturally, individual folders could be created in each partition as needed.

4. WA9SVD

[QUOTE="KV6O, 40MB?!? I'll never use all that....[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes. Famous last words. (And we ALL said as much, so don't feel too bad.) Obviously, times have changed.

5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I never partition any more. All of my data is under a "work" directory in the root. Under that add more directories for whatever. Imagine c:\work\ham\dmr for all things dmr until or unless more organization is needed.

However, when it comes to installing new ham s/w, it goes to the default directories. I don't trust ham coders to make it easy.

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I keep music and photos on my drive and 750GB is more than enough. I'm not the national archive. My wife's 121 GB flash drive would have been too small but that was all that Apple was marketing at the time in Flash Drives.

7. WA9SVD

And so, my question still hasn't been answered, after 2+ pages. YEP, this is the "Zed," after all. I shoudda knowed better.

W1TRY likes this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I've seen opinions on partitioning drives, but nothing relating to "Partition Magic". Perhaps no one here has any experience with it. Quite often questions here come up with no answers. And that's not just a Zed malady.

9. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Google Partition Magic. Now owned by Symantec which no longer supports it. Lot of good links, some to other similar programs.
    Try going to the horses mouth for an answer since no one here seems to know.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

10. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

The last update to Partition Magic was back in 2011. Are you sure you want that product? When I had it, it worked beautifully, but that was y-e-a-r-s ago.

As for defragging concerns, it's not worth partitioning a drive just to avoid defragging it in one swelled poop. Just make it a monthly task and let it defrag overnight.