ad: AbAuRe-1

One "Terrorbyte" HD?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA9SVD, Feb 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine too! Vanna too!

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Which SSD did you get?

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd have to find receipt, got it from microcenter, not a name brand, but I am mostly using this computer for browsing the web, nothing critical is stored.

4. N0TZU

Ah. I've been thinking of doing the same to my late 2012 Mac Mini.

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Do it! I changed out the stock drive in my MacMini (Late 2012) with an SSD drive--well worth the money for the performance increase! (It's not a night-and-day difference but it's definitely substantial.) I bought a Samsung 1TB SSD from Amazon and downloaded the installation instructions (for 6,2; 6,1 is a different vid) from Other World Computing. It was easy to do except for one step: getting the stupid antenna grid to seat properly--you have to position it juuuuust right or it won't seat.

Here's the drive I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRFFAS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The trick to extending the life of an SSD is to not exceed around 75% of its capacity--it needs room to digitally "breathe."

Just remember to format the SSD before you install it; I cloned the stock drive to the SSD before the swap to make things easier.

Also, don't forget to read about TRIM: http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/29/use-trimforce-trim-ssd-mac-os-x/

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  6. N0TZU

Thanks.

Did you need the rail mount kit, and did you enable TRIM? What OS X version are you running? I'm on the latest High Sierra.

7. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can use "Disk management" on WIN7 & up to partition & assign drive/partition paths.

Ed

8. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Curious? Why spilt into partitions? dual boot? Or other?

9. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

No, I didn't need the rail mount kit--I reused the rails from the old drive. (They screw into the sides of the new drive.) Yes, I enabled TRIM and am running High Sierra as well. (Apple is serious with their caution warning when using it since they can't guarantee TRIM will work with third-party SSD drives. YMMV.)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  10. N0TZU

Yes, I saw that warning.

I would guess it's ok with major SSD suppliers (Samsung, Micron, etc.) since that part of their firmware is probably the same as what they do for Apple and other OEMs. But having been in the storage business, I know it doesn't take much to screw it up!